[REQUEST] Transmission web-interface password protected.

Erik J

Jan 26, 2015, 3:10:11 PM1/26/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Another question.

I noticed that without logging in in the Alt-F web-interface, I can go from my bookmark of the Transmission Web Interface directly to the Transmission WI without the need to login. Don't know if this is a missing feature, a bug, a fault in my settings. So if this is a missing feature, I will post a request on the Alt-F homepage.

Some research found me this answer.
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7039&p=34331&hilit=password+protection#p34331

but i have no protection, i need to activate authentification, how can i do?

There are 2 ways:

    Run the daemon with the -t -u user-name -v user-password; or
    Stop the daemon. Edit the file settings.json changing (or adding):

    Code: Select all
        "rpc-authentication-required": 1,
        "rpc-username": "any-user-name",

         "rpc-password": "any-password",

/quote

but I think there is no settings.json file in Alt-F

And here is another link, more or less describing the same

https://superuser.com/questions/113649/how-do-you-set-a-password-for-transmission-daemon-the-bittorrent-client-server

And yes, in a near future, i would love to access my box through https, so I would like to have this transmission web-interface password protected.

Thanks again

e.

João Cardoso

Jan 28, 2015, 10:49:56 AM1/28/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 8:10:11 PM UTC, Erik J wrote:

Another question.

I noticed that without logging in in the Alt-F web-interface, I can go from my bookmark of the Transmission Web Interface directly to the Transmission WI without the need to login.

Yes, that is a bug and I could fix it, but everybody in your network can directly connect to the box:port IP, entirely bypassing Alt-F.
So you might want to setup a password for Transmission.

Don't know if this is a missing feature, a bug, a fault in my settings. So if this is a missing feature, I will post a request on the Alt-F homepage.

Some research found me this answer.
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7039&p=34331&hilit=password+protection#p34331

but i have no protection, i need to activate authentification, how can i do?

There are 2 ways:

    Run the daemon with the -t -u user-name -v user-password; or
    Stop the daemon. Edit the file settings.json changing (or adding):

    Code: Select all
        "rpc-authentication-required": 1,
        "rpc-username": "any-user-name",

         "rpc-password": "any-password",

/quote

but I think there is no settings.json file in Alt-F

Yes there is, /var/lib/transmission/settings.json is a link to /etc/transmission/transmission.conf, the file you want to edit. Be sure that you don't break the link.
'rctransmission <start|stop|status|...> is the way to start/stop the daemon, which is a shortcut to the real script, /etc/init.d/S81transmission

Erik J

Jan 28, 2015, 1:33:56 PM1/28/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

El miércoles, 28 de enero de 2015, 16:49:56 (UTC+1), João Cardoso escribió:

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 8:10:11 PM UTC, Erik J wrote:

Another question.

I noticed that without logging in in the Alt-F web-interface, I can go from my bookmark of the Transmission Web Interface directly to the Transmission WI without the need to login.

Yes, that is a bug and I could fix it, but everybody in your network can directly connect to the box:port IP, entirely bypassing Alt-F.
So you might want to setup a password for Transmission.

a bug or a missing feature?

[...]

ok. yes found that transmission.conf file, but was not sure that was the one to edit. as I only found references to the settings.json file.

'rctransmission <start|stop|status|...> is the way to start/stop the daemon, which is a shortcut to the real script, /etc/init.d/S81transmission

great, learn a lot with hacking this box and your help.

And yes, in a near future, i would love to access my box through https, so I would like to have this transmission web-interface password protected.

So done! Soon I can access it through the my area intern guifi.net network.

Thanks again

e.