a little feedback

Jefrey Goldon

Nov 10, 2013, 11:17:28 AM11/10/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I just want to give a little feedback to the ALT-F RC3 Firmware.

I bought the DNS-323 C1 on ebay for 20 bugs and i am very happy with it (my first nas).
The samba speed is about 11-12 Mbs and is fine for a little household with 3-4 users.
I use the NAS for media streaming and to learn about linux and NAS in general. The 3Tb disc support for this device was very important for me.

I first used an old WD15EADS on it for experimenting and the "first run" wizard did all the magic stuff. (nice wizard) Then i removed it and used a WD30EFRX.
When i installed a  3TB disc i had to run the wizard manually again, and all formating went well. (normal single drive mode, ext4, about 15 minutes total)
However, the Users/folders where NOT created on the disc like it did on the 1st HDD. I was a little confused about it as a beginner, and wondered what went wrong. Then i hit some buttons (submit) in the User page and the folders for the users where created.
So the complain on this point is, that the wizard does not cover the "auto folder/user" creation, when the disc is newly formated, like it was during the "first run" wizard.
Could you please add an option for the manually started wizard, so it "behaves" (do the same things) like the first-run wizard?

When i bought the NAS the firmware was 1.10, then i flashed it to the ALT-F R3 firmware without a problem.
I installed a WD30EFRX, (WD RED 3TB) into the NAS after i was finished with testing on the 1,5tb HDD.
The R3 firmware does format the 3Tb disc with GPT out of the box, without any addons needed to be installed. nice! My fear was first that i had to install some GPT packages somehow to be able to use the 3tb, but gladly this is not the case!

Currently i am testing basic functions. In a couple of weeks i think i will start testing the new Snapshots for bug hunting. (can i destroy data files on HDD or settings on the NAS with snapshot firmware in testing mode? or is it absolutely save? will there be another window after hitting the "upload" button? how to "test" snapshots without uploading it?)

I have a couple of small issues with the software, that i will cover in separate threads, (spin down problem, samba user logic, etc.), but these are rather minor problems.

Overall, this firmware is AWESOME! Thank you very much for this great alternative firmware! Thanks to all the Devs for your work on this software!

João Cardoso

Nov 10, 2013, 2:42:58 PM11/10/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:17:28 PM UTC, Jefrey Goldon wrote:
Hello,

I just want to give a little feedback to the ALT-F RC3 Firmware.

I bought the DNS-323 C1 on ebay for 20 bugs and i am very happy with it (my first nas).
The samba speed is about 11-12 Mbs and is fine for a little household with 3-4 users.
I use the NAS for media streaming and to learn about linux and NAS in general. The 3Tb disc support for this device was very important for me.

I first used an old WD15EADS on it for experimenting and the "first run" wizard did all the magic stuff. (nice wizard) Then i removed it and used a WD30EFRX.
When i installed a  3TB disc i had to run the wizard manually again, and all formating went well. (normal single drive mode, ext4, about 15 minutes total)
However, the Users/folders where NOT created on the disc like it did on the 1st HDD.

Yes, because the first-boot tour "wizard" is run only on the first login, or when there are no "saved settings".
As this wizard just runs a predefined sequence of normal webUI pages, it is expected that the user understand what pages he should use to later perform or change those minimum settings.

I was a little confused about it as a beginner, and wondered what went wrong. Then i hit some buttons (submit) in the User page and the folders for the users where created.

Yes, that was also what you did when the first-tour was running. As no Users folder was found it asked you to specify the filesystem where you wish them (Setup->Users)

So the complain on this point is, that the wizard does not cover the "auto folder/user" creation, when the disc is newly formated, like it was during the "first run" wizard.
Could you please add an option for the manually started wizard, so it "behaves" (do the same things) like the first-run wizard?

Not easy... as the sequence is predetermined, and assumes that no settings exists, it make sense; buf if run after some settings exists, it makes no sense anymore.

As the How to Use wiki says:

The first time that you use the web pages or change the password, you will be guided through a small set of pages, being prompted for a few configuration details. If you miss or skip some of these pages, you must manually follow the following sequence:

  1. Setup->Host: you must setup your host details, such as name, description and workgroup, and the networking details.
  2. Setup->Time: setup your timezone, i.e., the country and city where you live, and adjust the clock.
  3. Disk-Wizard: You can format your disks, or leave them as they are, Alt-F will recognize most partitioning schemes. Be aware that some partitioning schemes, filesystems or RAID layouts are not recognized be the vendor's firmware.
  4. Setup->Users: you must create at least one user.
    You will be asked for a filesystem where a folder called Users will be created, and where all users home folders will be created.
    To create a new user give the user name, such as 'John Smith', a nick name, such as 'jsmith' (no spaces), and a password and password confirmation. You can leave the User and Group Id with the default values.
    The user name and password will be used to authenticate under MS-Windows, while the nick name and password will be used to authenticate under linux.
  5. Services->Network: You will have to start the network service of your choice, or several simultaneously. Most MS-Windows users want smb/samba. By default shares named 'Users', Public RW' and 'Public RO' will be available (after you create at least one user)
  6. System->Settings: In the end, you should save the settings in flash memory.
    The vendor's flashed settings are only lost if you deliberately clear settings.
    However, they use almost all available flash space, so when trying to
    save Alt-F settings you can see an error message.

When i bought the NAS the firmware was 1.10, then i flashed it to the ALT-F R3 firmware without a problem.
I installed a WD30EFRX, (WD RED 3TB) into the NAS after i was finished with testing on the 1,5tb HDD.
The R3 firmware does format the 3Tb disc with GPT out of the box, without any addons needed to be installed. nice! My fear was first that i had to install some GPT packages somehow to be able to use the 3tb, but gladly this is not the case!

Currently i am testing basic functions. In a couple of weeks i think i will start testing the new Snapshots for bug hunting.

Thanks.
There are some bugs, as the snapshot were not tested as for a release.
The snapshot only purpose was to find if the newer linux kernel supports all know box hardware revision boards. Previously during the 0.1Bx releases, Alt-F stopped working on rev-A1 boards after a kernel upgrade, so I want to be sure that it wouldn't happens again.
Thanks to several users reviews it seems that it works fine for all DNS-323 boards and also for the DNS-321.

(can i destroy data files on HDD

No. Unless you say so, and confirm your action, Alt-F will not change filesystems or disk partitions.

or settings on the NAS

Only if you "save settings". Don't do that while running a snapshot. And don't flash a snapshot not use it to flash some other firmware (System->Firmware)

with snapshot firmware in testing mode? or is it absolutely save? will there be another window after hitting the "upload" button?

Yes.

how to "test" snapshots without uploading it?)

You have to upload, but in the next page, instead of hitting the FlashIt button, use the TryIt button.

I have a couple of small issues with the software, that i will cover in separate threads, (spin down problem, samba user logic, etc.), but these are rather minor problems.

Overall, this firmware is AWESOME! Thank you very much for this great alternative firmware! Thanks to all the Devs for your work on this software!

Thanks for your works and constructive critics, they were most appreciated.