Users can't login, related SAMBA issues

nesta...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2013, 5:01:35 PM11/24/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
I have installed RC3.

It was installed on a USB stick, on which users were created at first login.

I can browse to the RO/RW folders and can write to the RW folder. These were created automagically on the USB stick. I browse these folders without login in.

I cannot login using Windows XP Explorer with the credentials of any of the users I created. Windows throw an error, please see attached.

Later, I added an HD(1.5tb), formatted as Ext4.

I can write to it using Alt-F's wonderful webUI. But can't do so while browsing using Explorer on XP.

OSX can't see the NAS, but I think I need to install a package for that.

I can create a folder on the HD, like this (myheadNOWhurts, see default perssmissions, attached), however. But I can't write within that either.

I've attached my permissions from SAMBA, users default permission when the folder was created, as well as permissions on the HDs.

I've changed permissions back and forth a bit, but none have worked. I've done so on SAMBA;

At this point, I'm only looking for the right set of permissions for SAMBA and the HDs.

Essentially, I'd like the RO and RW folders replicated on the HD I've added (1.5tb).

I'd like each user to login and access those folders on that HD, where films, pictures, etc will be. I will like to be able to do same when another HD is added later.

I'd like each user be able to create folders in that HD (1.5tb), the contents of which are only available to the user.

I used the feature "save settings" all the time. Is there a way to delete/remove older settings?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Alt-F Folder Ownership and Access Permissions.jpg
2 (default user rights) Alt-F Folder Ownership and Access Permissions.jpg
All HDs Alt-F Folders Browse.jpg
Default permissions on 1.5tb Alt-F Folder Ownership and Access Permissions.jpg
All users Alt-F Folders Browse.jpg
Windows Error Alt-F rc3 setup Guide.odt - OpenOffice Writer.jpg
SAMBA Alt-F Samba Setup.jpg

João Cardoso

Nov 25, 2013, 12:21:58 PM11/25/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:01:35 PM UTC, nesta...@gmail.com wrote:
I have installed RC3.

It was installed on a USB stick, on which users were created at first login.

I can browse to the RO/RW folders and can write to the RW folder. These were created automagically on the USB stick. I browse these folders without login in.

I cannot login using Windows XP Explorer with the credentials of any of the users I created.

You only miss to tell us what those credentials are.

If your user "John Doe" has a nick name of "jdoe" on the box, then when connecting from MS-Win you have to *connect as* "jdoe", or else your current MS-Win username and password will be used to login into the box.
When the username in the MS-Win computer is different from the username on the box you are connection to, you have to use the *connect as* MS-W menu, supplying the correct username/password to the connecting computer.

*After* that login, samba/smb shares definitions came in play, and *after* that folders permissions and ownership will come into play.
I.e., after you successfully login, you can see other users shares, but you shouldn't be able to see or change them (shares definitions); or you can see your home folder and files, but not be able to change them (folders ownership/permissions).

João Cardoso

Nov 25, 2013, 1:21:56 PM11/25/13

On Monday, November 25, 2013 5:21:58 PM UTC, João Cardoso wrote:

[...]

Ah, I forget that users equivalence exists, i.e., when you create the "John Doe" user with "jdoe" as its nickname under Alt-F, both names can be used to login, so if your username under MS-W is "John Doe" or "jdoe" you shouldn't need to use "connect as". But try anyway.

I don't remember when was this user equivalence introduced, see the /etc/samba/smbusers file to see if it is effect in RC3.
On my system, e.g.:

# cat /etc/samba/smbusers
root = "Administrator"
jcard = "Joao Cardoso"
jdoe = "John Doe"

Also, attach the contents of smb.log (System->Utilities->View Logs->smbd)

nesta...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2013, 12:25:40 AM11/27/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 25 November 2013 11:08:32 UTC-7, João Cardoso wrote:

[...]

I was using the "user name," NOT the nick name to connect. I tried the nickname and it worked like lightinging. Many, many thanks.

Ah, I forget that users equivalence exists, i.e., when you create the "John Doe" user with "jdoe" as its nickname under Alt-F, both names can be used to login, so if your username under MS-W is "John Doe" or "jdoe" you shouldn't need to use "connect as". But try anyway.
This is not true. Only the nick name works. I tried, tried and tried again with the "user name" but that did NOT work. But using the nick name, it worked. At least for one account and I have no reason to believe the others won't work.

I don't remember when was this user equivalence introduced, see the /etc/samba/smbusers file to see if it is effect in RC3.
On my system, e.g.:

# cat /etc/samba/smbusers
root = "Administrator"
jcard = "Joao Cardoso"
jdoe = "John Doe"

Also, attach the contents of smb.log (System->Utilities->View Logs->smbd)
I've attached the log.

I can now write to the HD.

You're a wonder. At times it's best to ask, such a simple fix, after spending just about the whole day Sat. trying to get this fixed, by way of respecting your time.

Many, many thanks. My frined.

João Cardoso

Nov 27, 2013, 10:27:06 AM11/27/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

[...]

I don't know about MS-Windows, but user equivalence works  from the command line:

 > smbclient -U "Joao Cardoso" //nas/Users
Enter Joao Cardoso's password:
Domain=[HOMENET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.21]
smb: \> dir
  .                                   D        0  Sun May 29 03:17:17 2011
  ..                                  D        0  Sun Nov 10 03:29:35 2013
  Manuela Lima                        D        0  Mon May 23 22:16:56 2011
  Qualfit                             D        0  Wed May 25 20:30:58 2011
  Joao Cardoso                        D        0  Fri Sep 27 16:51:26 2013

and in smbd.log it appears as logged as "jcard", "Joao Cardoso" nick:

silver (192.168.1.1) connect to service Users initially as user jcard (uid=1000, gid=100) (pid 379)
[2013/11/27 15:15:16.683863,  1] smbd/service.c:1265(close_cnum)
  silver (192.168.1.1) closed connection to service Users

However, one can't directly access "//nas/Users/Joao Cardoso", as it is not a valid share name as returned by "smbtree -N"

Don't know how MS-Win "connect as" works

Nestamicky

Nov 27, 2013, 11:38:01 PM11/27/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
João Cardoso:
> I don't know about MS-Windows, but user equivalence works from the command
> line:
>
> > smbclient -U "Joao Cardoso" //nas/Users
> Enter Joao Cardoso's password:
> Domain=[HOMENET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.21]
> smb: \> dir
> . D 0 Sun May 29 03:17:17 2011
> .. D 0 Sun Nov 10 03:29:35 2013
> Manuela Lima D 0 Mon May 23 22:16:56 2011
> Qualfit D 0 Wed May 25 20:30:58 2011
> Joao Cardoso D 0 Fri Sep 27 16:51:26 2013
>
> and in smbd.log it appears as logged as "jcard", "Joao Cardoso" nick:
>
> silver (192.168.1.1) connect to service Users initially as user jcard
> (uid=1000, gid=100) (pid 379)
> [2013/11/27 15:15:16.683863, 1] smbd/service.c:1265(close_cnum)
> silver (192.168.1.1) closed connection to service Users
>
> However, one can't directly access "//nas/Users/Joao Cardoso", as it is not
> a valid share name as returned by "smbtree -N"
>
> Don't know how MS-Win "connect as" works
You're giving me lots of reasons to dump MS-Win. At this stage, I'd say
I'm handicapped. But it's one that I will fix, with time.

Thanks a lot for all your help; no, really, THANKS!