Adding Folders to share from win7 does not work

senkzub

Jan 25, 2015, 5:26:38 PM1/25/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
when trying to connect to a mounted share on DNS323 from win7(64), i can open existing files in all directories, but i'm not able to create a new folder or add a new file.

For testing purposes all authorizations in all folders have been set to rwxrwsrwx:
md0rootusersrwxrwsrwx
Usersrootusersrwxrwsrwx
PC0PC0usersrwxrwsrwx

OwnerGroupPermissions
Up Folder
ArchivPC0usersrwxrwsrwx
werPC0usersrwxrwsrwx

When trying to make a new folder in win7 i get no autorization (see error.jpg)
When trying to make a new folder with ssh everything works fine: new folder is there and a new file is put to the new folder.
I guess,there must be something wrong with running samba.

My Nas: DNS-323 Rev-B1 ,flashed with Alt-F-0.1RC4, kernel 3.10.32.

See log.smbd in smbd.zip

Since I'm a newbie to linux stuff any help is greatly appreciated. Please let me know, if further information is required.

Thx in advance

senkzub

smbd.zip
error.jPG

João Cardoso

Jan 26, 2015, 11:29:11 AM1/26/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 10:26:38 PM UTC, senkzub wrote:
Hi all,
when trying to connect to a mounted share on DNS323 from win7(64), i can open existing files in all directories, but i'm not able to create a new folder or add a new file.

Even in the "Public REad/Write" share? Have you changed the Public folders and shares definitions?

What are the share definitions? (Services->Network, smb Configure screenshot or /etc/samba/smb.conf contents). Under what user are you trying to access the shares?

senkzub

Jan 27, 2015, 4:12:53 PM1/27/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,
even in public share i am not able to create a new folder, no matter from which Computer in my Network i try ( See error_in_public_share.JPG)
I connect with user PC0 and this connection is working since i'm able to open files. But again I'm not able to create new folders.
To me samba configuration looks ok (see Screnshot_SAMBA_SETUP.JPG)
Sorry, but i can'f find  /etc/samba/smb.conf where i would have expected it (see Cannot find _etc_samba_smb.conf .JPG) Even a search for it with winscp is not successful.
Do you have an idea how to find it?

Even a new installation of ALT-F did not help.

Hope you can help.
Thanks in advance
senkzub
error_in_public_share.JPG
Screnshot_SAMBA_SETUP.JPG
Cannot find _etc_samba_smb.conf .JPG

senkzub

Jan 27, 2015, 4:55:22 PM1/27/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Additional informations: DNS-323 is running in raid 1 with 2 1.5 TB disks. They have not been touched during update.

Erik J

Jan 28, 2015, 2:14:55 AM1/28/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hello

Howto find samba:

login with ssh, or telnet as root

telnet
telnet> open your.machine.ip
login
passwd
cd /etc/samba/
ls -la

there you should be.
-la shows you also hidden files.

hope this helped you.

senkzub

Jan 28, 2015, 2:41:21 AM1/28/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thx Erik,
your hint helped searching.

Here is my smb.conf
smb.conf.txt

João Cardoso

Jan 28, 2015, 10:03:54 AM1/28/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:12:53 PM UTC, senkzub wrote:
Hi Joao,
even in public share i am not able to create a new folder, no matter from which Computer in my Network i try ( See error_in_public_share.JPG)
I connect with user PC0 and this connection is working since i'm able to open files. But again I'm not able to create new folders.
To me samba configuration looks ok (see Screnshot_SAMBA_SETUP.JPG)

Look carefully under the "Read Only" column in the "samba Setup" page: all your shares are "Read Only", so it is not a surprise that you can't create new folders or files, or even change any file name or contents.

And the Samba Setup online help (hit the (?) icon near the page title" says:

Read Only - no writing is allowed.

Sorry, but i can'f find  /etc/samba/smb.conf where i would have expected it (see Cannot find _etc_samba_smb.conf .JPG) Even a search for it with winscp is not successful.

Have you read the README.txt file that you found under the "Alt-F" folder?

Do you have an idea how to find it?

Erik has already showed you that.
And remember, the /Alt-F/README.txt file says:

DON'T ADD, REMOVE OR MODIFY ANY FILE IN THIS DIRECTORY
OR ANY OF ITS SUB-DIRECTORIES, OR THE SYSTEM MIGHT HANG!

For that reason I don't advise you to define a share for a whole filesystem, such as /mnt/md0, which exposes the Alt-F folder. Instead, define shares for well know folders under it, such as Music, Documents, etc.

senkzub

Jan 29, 2015, 2:23:02 AM1/29/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the glasses to read the help for "Read Only". Not ticking here and i am able to add folders.  I must admit i'm a little bit ashamed. Linux is not my stuff.
But:
I NEVER added,  removed or modified any file in ALT-F directory manually.  As you see in shares.JPG i've two Alt-F directories , may be due to installing Alt-F twice.
The share /mnt/md0 must be a residue of the shares under vendors firmware. Here you find the second ALT-F Directory and the renamed ffp folders.
I added shares under /mnt/md0  only with ALT-F Samba.

Obviously there is a confusion in my shares / folders. Can you advise which shares or folders should be deleted or do you recommend starting from the scratch with reformating the drives using disk wizard?

Thx for your help
shares.JPG

João Cardoso

Jan 29, 2015, 12:00:42 PM1/29/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 7:23:02 AM UTC, senkzub wrote:
Thanks for the glasses to read the help for "Read Only". Not ticking here and i am able to add folders.  I must admit i'm a little bit ashamed. Linux is not my stuff.
But:
I NEVER added,  removed or modified any file in ALT-F directory manually.

I didn't said you did, only warned you. Its amazing, but people don't really read README files ;-)

 As you see in shares.JPG i've two Alt-F directories , may be due to installing Alt-F twice.

Be warned that only the first found Alt-F folder will be used. I would recommend you to delete the one that is not in use, to avoid future complications.

The share /mnt/md0 must be a residue of the shares under vendors firmware.

No, Alt-F don't reuse shares definitions by the vendor's firmware, it only reuse disk setup and filesystems.

The vendor's firmware use to define whole filesystems as shares, calling them VOLUME_1, VOLUME_2,... as if a NAS were an USB attached disk, but I don't endorse that philosophy -- a NAS is not an USB attached disk, it's a computer! I prefer to define shares depending on its contents.

Here you find the second ALT-F Directory and the renamed ffp folders.
I added shares under /mnt/md0  only with ALT-F Samba.

Obviously there is a confusion in my shares / folders. Can you advise which shares or folders should be deleted or do you recommend starting from the scratch with reformating the drives using disk wizard?

I never recommend starting from scratch or rebooting to solve problems. I always recommend to understand things and proceed accordingly.
Of course this is not productive in the immediate term, only in the hypothetical future, so your boss don't like the approach as you are wasting your time and his money :-)