In Alt-F 1.0, the nmbd service does not start. Help, please solve this problem.

Илья Картавенко

Feb 9, 2019, 1:02:03 PM2/9/19
to Alt-F
Good day everyone. set and set up alt-f 1.0 set up samba opened access to folders and printer. But I can connect to NAS only via ip, since the nmbd service does not start. And manually run it is not possible. In the journal, I see the following entry.

[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  0] nmbd/nmbd.c:861(nmbd_main)
  nmbd version 3.6.25 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2011
[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  1] param/loadparm.c:8044(lp_do_parameter)
  WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  0] lib/util_sock.c:1343(create_pipe_sock)
  invalid permissions on socket directory /var/run/samba
[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:48(nmbd_init_packet_server)
  ERROR: nb_packet_server_create failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

From the log it becomes clear that there are problems with the rights to the folder / var / run / samba

After changing them, launching nmbd becomes possible, but after restarting the NAS, the problem reappears.
The installation and launch of cups can serve as a solution to this problem, then nmbd starts as expected and the NAS becomes visible on the network under its own host name. But in this case there is no possibility to use the printer in the way that with the cups running, the LPD server becomes unavailable, and cups itself does not see the usb port, and there is no way to configure a printer connected to the NAS in it.
Please tell me how to solve the problem with running nmbd otherwise? NAS - DNS-325. HP Laserjet 1150 Printer

João Cardoso

Feb 9, 2019, 1:23:46 PM2/9/19
to Alt-F

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 18:02:03 UTC, Илья Картавенко wrote:
Good day everyone. set and set up alt-f 1.0 set up samba opened access to folders and printer. But I can connect to NAS only via ip, since the nmbd service does not start. And manually run it is not possible. In the journal, I see the following entry.

[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  0] nmbd/nmbd.c:861(nmbd_main)
  nmbd version 3.6.25 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2011
[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  1] param/loadparm.c:8044(lp_do_parameter)
  WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  0] lib/util_sock.c:1343(create_pipe_sock)
  invalid permissions on socket directory /var/run/samba
[2019/02/09 09:36:24,  0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:48(nmbd_init_packet_server)
  ERROR: nb_packet_server_create failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

I can't reproduce your results.

Have you using the command line to start/stop processes? Edited the samba configuration file? Then you must know what you are doing, otherwise you should be using the webUI.
Services should be started or stopped by its init scripts using the Services Menu, or from the command line using "rc<service> start|stop|status|...". For samba, e.g, 'rcsmb start' creates the needed directories and start the processes with the proper permissions and options.

The "WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated" means that you have edited the configuration file, because the Alt-F webUI don't use such options.
Use Services->Network,smb,Configure for minimal and known to work configuration.

From the log it becomes clear that there are problems with the rights to the folder / var / run / samba

Please provide as much information as you can, showing the actual commands used and its actual output.
What was the permissions before?

After changing them,

what permissions did you set?

launching nmbd becomes possible,

 And how did you start nmbd?

but after restarting the NAS, the problem reappears.
The installation and launch of cups can serve as a solution to this problem, then nmbd starts as expected and the NAS becomes visible on the network under its own host name. But in this case there is no possibility to use the printer in the way that with the cups running, the LPD server becomes unavailable, and cups itself does not see the usb port, and there is no way to configure a printer connected to the NAS in it.
Please tell me how to solve the problem with running nmbd otherwise? NAS - DNS-325. HP Laserjet 1150 Printer

This is unrelated, please use a separated topic for it (after solving this one)

Илья Картавенко

Feb 9, 2019, 2:05:27 PM2/9/19
to al...@googlegroups.com

суббота, 9 февраля 2019 г., 21:23:46 UTC+3 пользователь João Cardoso написал:
I do everything using the web interface, except for changing permissions to the folder specified in the log. I do this through midnight commander, connecting via SSH. The default permissions are 40775. I delete this folder, and then restart samba in the web interface. Samba starts and creates this folder with 40755 permissions. Nmbd also starts successfully. But if I reboot the NAS, nmbd, as I said in the first message, does not start again, and 40777 permissions are installed on the folder. If cups is installed and running, then this problem does not occur, nmbd starts as it should. Manually, I run nmbd in the samba configuration web interface on the status tab.

Илья Картавенко

Feb 10, 2019, 8:11:17 AM2/10/19
to Alt-F

суббота, 9 февраля 2019 г., 21:02:03 UTC+3 пользователь Илья Картавенко написал:
 This is what the testparm command output shows.

 [root@homeserver]# testparm
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "username" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
Processing section "[Printers]"
Processing section "[share]"
Processing section "[lp0]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: lock directory /var/cache/samba should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: state directory /var/cache/samba should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: cache directory /var/cache/samba should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

João Cardoso

Feb 10, 2019, 1:58:45 PM2/10/19
to Alt-F
On my box:

[root@DNS-325]# testparm
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[Printers]"
Processing section "[Users]"
Processing section "[RO]"
Processing section "[RW]"
Processing section "[Transmission]"
Processing section "[Backup]"
Processing section "[WebData]"
Processing section "[CouchPotato2]"
Loaded services file OK.

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[root@DNS-325]# for i in  /var/*; do find $i/ -name samba -exec ls -ld {} \; ; done
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root           380 Feb 10 18:43 /var/cache/samba
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root           120 Feb  8 05:04 /var/log/samba
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            60 Jan 21 00:28 /var/run/samba
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root            40 Jan  1  1970 /var/spool/samba
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root            40 Jan  1  1970 /var/tmp/spool/samba
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root           380 Feb 10 18:43 /var/tmp/cache/samba
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root           120 Feb  8 05:04 /var/tmp/log/samba
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            60 Jan 21 00:28 /var/tmp/run/samba

Can it be that you have /var/cache also under /Alt-F ? you shouldn't.

[root@DNS-325]# ls -l /Alt-F/var/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x   16 root     root          4096 Jan 21 17:01 lib
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Jul 30  2018 lynxtechnology
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jul 30  2018 twonky

As /Alt-F  is disk resident, its contents will shadow existing files and folders under /. If you have, try Packages->Alt-F, in section "Packages Installed On", uncheck all "Boot Enable" checkmarks, Submit, unplug the printer (just to rule it out) and reboot; after reboot you will have none of the Alt-F packages that you installed yourself. Still the same issue?

Илья Картавенко

Feb 10, 2019, 3:03:30 PM2/10/19
to Alt-F

воскресенье, 10 февраля 2019 г., 21:58:45 UTC+3 пользователь João Cardoso написал:
There is a / Alt-F / var folder in the / Alt-F folder, but there is no / Alt-F / var / cache folder. I have a shared resource section sda2. Configuration and packages installed on sda4 partition. Here are the folders I see in the file system.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

Now, as you said, disabled the download of packages that you installed yourself, rebooted the NAS. Indeed, nmbd started as expected. I even checked twice. Would you advise me to transfer the packages I installed to another section?

Joao Cardoso

Feb 10, 2019, 10:33:54 PM2/10/19
to Alt-F
Right now I can't  see your screenshots.

Now, as you said, disabled the download of packages that you installed yourself, rebooted the NAS. Indeed, nmbd started as expected. I even checked twice. Would you advise me to transfer the packages I installed to another section?

I don't know what do you have under /mnt/sda4/Alt-F (by the way, read the README.txt file on it, and the wiki on how to customize the firmware), but repairing it might be laborious, so I recommend you to just delete it and reinstall the needed packages. When you rebooted you have a message in the status page saying that "an Alt-F...blabla...was found and not used", right? So its safe to just remove everything on it and reinstall packages again to /mnt/sda4. And remember DON'T, but DON'T change, add, remove anything under that folder!

Илья Картавенко

Feb 11, 2019, 1:56:34 AM2/11/19
to Alt-F

понедельник, 11 февраля 2019 г., 6:33:54 UTC+3 пользователь Joao Cardoso написал:
 Yes, on the device status page, I see the message "Alt-F directory found in sda4 but there is no NOAUFS exists on it." Moving packages to another section helped solve the problem. Thank you for help.

João Cardoso

Feb 11, 2019, 10:22:37 AM2/11/19
to Alt-F

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 13:11:17 UTC, Илья Картавенко wrote:

[...]

When the message "Alt-F directory found in xxx but not used, as file NOAUFS exists on it." is displayed in the status page, it is safe to delete the Alt-F folder -- the Packages->Alt-F webUI even has a button for that purpose.
sda4 is indeed a good place to have the Alt-F folder, as that location will not interfere with your data. A still better place is on a dedicated always plugged ext4 USB pen, but you will need it for your printer; might using a USB hub?

Илья Картавенко

Feb 11, 2019, 10:40:03 AM2/11/19
to Alt-F

понедельник, 11 февраля 2019 г., 18:22:37 UTC+3 пользователь João Cardoso написал:
By the way, interesting, but true. Yesterday, as I said above, I transferred all the packages to another disk partition. After that, nmbd started normally, and after NAS reboots, nmbd also started. If so, I decided to configure the ability to use a printer connected to a NAS on another computer. But before that, I decided to check if the seal is happening. On that computer I set it up yesterday. It turned out that the tasks to the printer are sent, but ldp does not output them to the printer. PSTal check the settings and it turned out that nmbd does not start again. But this time the service can be started from the web interface.

João Cardoso

Feb 11, 2019, 4:49:54 PM2/11/19
to Alt-F
This is going off-topic, but I just setup a lpd printer on my linux box and it printed right to the box attached USB printer.
I did the same on windows, but it took a while and some googling, but finally it succeeded -- needed first to add LPR as a window functionality, then add a network printer specifying the port as LPR.
What did not work on windows was to use the samba offered lp0 printer, but I remember having done that in the past. Remember, lpd is an old and simple unix protocol that uses port 515.
I remember that there is a thread (and a wiki) on this subject.