SMB: Corrupt Lead Byte - Error

Ralph Johnson

Feb 8, 2015, 4:09:53 PM2/8/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I changed JumboFrame from 1500 to 7500 in ALT-F RC4.

Before the above change I was able to use the client: FileBrowser locally and remotely with the same WAN IP to connect to my NAS.

After the change to 7500 my client can only connect locally using the same WAN IP.

I don't understand how it can connect locally but not remotely.

Whenever I try to connect remotely I get the Subject error message.

How can I correct this issue.

Respectfully,

Ralph

João Cardoso

Feb 9, 2015, 10:56:18 AM2/9/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 9:09:53 PM UTC, Ralph Johnson wrote:
I changed JumboFrame from 1500 to 7500 in ALT-F  RC4.

Before the above change I was able to use the client: FileBrowser locally and remotely with the same WAN IP to connect to my NAS.

After the change to 7500 my client can only connect locally using the same WAN IP.

I don't understand how it can connect locally but not remotely.

Probably the router doesn't support jumbo frames. Can you set other devices in the local net with jumbo frames and access them from the outside?

 3) For a jumbo packet to pass through a router, both the ingress and egress interfaces must support the larger packet size. Otherwise, the packets will be dropped or fragmented.

If the size of the data payload can't be negotiated (this is known as PMTUD, packet MTU discovery) due to firewalls, the data will be dropped with no warning, or "blackholed". And if the MTU isn't supported, the data will have to be fragmented to a supported size and retransmitted, reducing throughput.

Ralph@GMAIL

Feb 11, 2015, 2:19:19 PM2/11/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the insight. I'm not able to increase the jumbo frames beyond 1500, so the router would not be an issue from that standpoint.

I have reset the frames back to 1500 in the ALT-F Host web menu  option. Tried resetting, rebooting, the router and NAS box with no success in trying to connect remotely using WAN IP.

I don't know enough about using settings in SWAT and even if I did
would this help.

Respectfully,

Ralph