The crazy jumboframes

Eric Wick

Aug 2, 2012, 3:26:47 PM8/2/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Something is very crazy here with the mtu frame size of the dns 323. It is linked with 1000-T with a wr1043nd to my 1000-T computer, mostly with nfs.

With mtu 6000 i can read 5MB/s and write 2.3MB/s
With mtu 1500 i can read 12.5MB/s and write 8MB/s

Someone with same results here? Everything over 1500 slows down the transfer here.

Joao Cardoso

Aug 5, 2012, 8:46:12 AM8/5/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
I can't currently try to reproduce your problem. But the last time I used bigger mtu they worked OK.

The symptom seems indicate frame fragmentation:

-Have you ever used a bigger mtu with your current network setup?
-Can you try to bypass the modem/router using a direct-cable connection between the computer and the nas? the wr1043nd isn't exactly a... hmmm,

Nicolas Desveaux

Jul 2, 2018, 12:37:10 PM7/2/18
to Alt-F
Could it be because with higher mtu it's running out of memory and using the swap... uh ho thread necromancy sorry