Update - dead power supply replaced successfully

Mark Brandon

Mar 27, 2024, 3:11:58 PMMar 27
to Alt-F
Hello All,
Original JTA0512 power supply failed for a DNS-323-B. Cut off the old plug to fit the receptacle.
Failed supply was replaced with a generic power supply from Amazon, 5V/6A 12V/6A 24V.
4 TB drives with Raid 1 (2.5 TB information) took a day to rebuild and come online.  I was happy to connect and see everything on the 'box' was good.

João and the group here. Thank you for creating and keeping these dinosaurs alive . . . Your efforts are read (and many times not fully understood ; )   I'm learning (I hope : )

Cheers

Mark

Dimitrios G. Panagiotidis

Mar 29, 2024, 2:24:30 PMMar 29
to Alt-F
Hi, good to know this worked for you so others can do the same that when the P/S inevitably dies. Why did you have to rebuild the RAID? Did the P/S die in the middle of a write process? Mine is (also) a Jentec JTA-0512 but rated for 3A in each of the two rails (5 and 12 volts) so I am not sure why yours was rated for 6A, that's good of course, my DNS323 is version A, perhaps B has higher current demands, I don't know?! Also did you splice the final connector to the generic P/S or the one you bought came with the proprietary plug? Thanks!

Mark Brandon

Mar 29, 2024, 6:40:12 PMMar 29
to Alt-F

Hi Dimitrios

Glad to clarify . .  .

I'm not sure if the raid got/was rebuilt . . . After the plug in and re-start of the DNS 323 it was a day before I was able to request and see a file listing from the DNS 323 . . . As the box was happy and the blue light was active I let it chug away.  I was quite ecstatic when a listing finally happened (I was frequently updating thru the day with no success ; ). From the power on to getting a directory listing was close to 24 hours.

The power supply probably died when no activity was happening . . .  Yet really not known.

The original power supply was rated 3A on the 5 and 12 volt rails.  I was unable to locate a 3A PS so the 6A PS was a suitable choice as a replacement. I see the 323 A and B models have the same power supply.

The power supply from Amazon, https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08SQYM9TF  , it did not come with the needed cord and plug.  I still had the 5V side working so was able to see 5V Red, 12V (not working) Yellow and Black/Copper 0V or Grd.  (Confirmed with drawings and voltmeter in plug.)

Cutting the cord, an inch from the old power supply, and attached it to the new power supply (about 1 meter of cord and power plug). The shield was being used as 0V wire #2.  Covered bare copper shield with shrink sleeve.

I currently have it stuffed into a space between the bookcase and wall.  A few temperature checks while the rebuild was happening revealed no excess heat was being generated, easily less than 30C being felt.

Photo attached.

Any questions or comments welcome.

Cheers

Mark