Failure of DNS323 plastic parts

gra...@xtra.co.nz

Jun 2, 2024, 7:34:25 PMJun 2
to Alt-F
Hi all,

I have a couple of DNS323s that I have had in constant use for many years, one with Alt-F and an older one still using the original Dlink firmware.   The older one has been in use for probably 15 years plus and the one with Alt F I purchased second hand a few years ago so don't know the age.

Over the past year I have noticed the plastic parts of the case starting to fail
Firstly the plastic holding the on/off button disintergrated followed by the clips holding the front panel in place, breaking off.
A few days ago the fan in the later one with Alt F became unbearably noisy so I pulled this one apart to relubricate the fan, only to find that the back panel fell off and the plastic around the rear screw holes of the back panel were all disintergrating.    I then rebuilt the mounts around the screw holes with epoxy so I could reattach the back panel again.
I then reinforced the back panel screw holes of my other DNS323 with epoxy before they too fell apart.    Unfortunately the front panels are not so easy to fix and in the meantime I'm running both DNSs with the front panels removed.

The purpose of this message is to suggest that you might like to carry out similar preventative work on your own unit(s) before they start deteriorating as mine have both done.

(I also have a much newer Synology DS213 which locks up when it warms up and I haven't been able to resolve this so I'm looking for recommendations for some other brand that will match the long term reliability and service that I have had until now from my Dlinks)

 Graham