Samba shares accesible only by owner, not by "users in group"

NinjaCross

Nov 29, 2012, 6:24:33 PM11/29/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.
I've just set up some samba shares (System->network->samba->configure), and for each one of them I also set permissions for an owner and a group of users.
AFAIKS, only the owner user can access those folders through samba.
The users in groups associated to the permissions cannot do nothing on those folders (neither browse).
I also tried to propagate permissions to children folders, but nothing changed.
What I'm doing wrong ?
Thanks for any help

Joao Cardoso

Nov 30, 2012, 10:30:39 AM11/30/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:24:33 PM UTC, NinjaCross wrote:
Hi all.
I've just set up some samba shares (System->network->samba->configure), and for each one of them I also set permissions for an owner and a group of users.

Who have you used in the "Allow" choice? It must be the linux group, those marked with a '+'

AFAIKS, only the owner user can access those folders through samba.
The users in groups associated to the permissions cannot do nothing on those folders (neither browse).
I also tried to propagate permissions to children folders, but nothing changed.

The "inherit perms" checkbox does (from the manual):

           (...)
           New directories inherit the mode of the parent directory, including bits such as
           setgid.

           New files inherit their read/write bits from the parent directory. Their execute bits
           continue to be determined by map archive, map hidden and map system as usual.
           (...)

What I'm doing wrong ?

Don't know... much of the time posting the relevant configuration files and in this case the permission listing is better than a description.

Thanks for any help