Noob questons: How do I share pictures with family members via WAN?

SCARNG

Sep 9, 2013, 3:45:20 PM9/9/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
DNS-323 /Board:
Firmware: Alt-F-0.1.RC3
Linux Experience: Novice

I have media files, specifically all family pictures, that I want to share with other family members that are all over the world.   On my LAN everyone can share the files, but from the WAN I am not sure how to accomplish this.  I already have a Dynamic DNS hostname setup.

Anyone have a suggestions or is this not doable?

João Cardoso

Sep 10, 2013, 1:38:02 PM9/10/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is doable.

You have to expose the box to the internet, with all the risks involved.
You have to make your modem/router redirect connections for your DDNS hostname to the box. You can do this in what is called "Demilitarized zone", where all services provided by the box are available to everybody out there, or only on a per-port/per-sevice basis.
You have to decide what service will be used to access the box: ftp? samba?
You have to decide if you will create accounts with a password for all your family users, or want them to access the box as the guest user.

Or you can use Google Picasa or Dropbox...