DNS-323 & ownCloud (5.0.1.0)

db

Aug 23, 2013, 12:44:01 AM8/23/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
I have just replaced my DNS-323 with a new Synology DS213J as my main NAS storage and am wanting to convert my DNS-323 into an ownCloud server.
I have been reading as much as I can about if this is possible and it looks like if I flash my DNS-323 with the alf-f firmware it may be possible but my linux knowledge is a bit lacking.

It looks like the current version of ownCloud is at 5.0.1.0 and I have downloaded the tar.bz2 file but am hoping someone with experience could help me (step / step process) on how I could flash my DNS-323 to alt-f then install the ownCloud package.

I want to use the DNS-323 and the 2TB of storage only as a ownCloud server so I don't need any other installed packages.

I hope that I am able to get some help here, if not I may just muddle it on my own and hope I don't mess anything up.
I already migrated all my data to my new NAS so I will be starting from scratch on the 323.

Thanks in advance.

D.

Chris Goerss

Aug 24, 2013, 1:01:28 PM8/24/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

Just throwing out my .02 cents here. However OwnCloud can be installed on the dns323. When I had only OwnCloud installed on my 323 it was way to slow for practical use. The cpu and memory on the 323 is just not really enough imho. Mainly because owncloud requires php and mysql and php brings the 323 to its knees depending on the php modules that are loaded.

Chris

Chris

db

Aug 25, 2013, 7:59:07 PM8/25/13
to al...@googlegroups.com, chris...@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply.
I think I will take your opinion to heart and just scrap my idea of installing ownCloud to my 323.
I think I will just pull the HD's out and come up with a new idea in the near future (maybe I can get my hands on a raspberry Pi).

Thanks again for your input.

D.

Chris Goerss

Aug 26, 2013, 12:42:01 AM8/26/13
to db, al...@googlegroups.com

Mileage may vary. But when it comes to the 323 I can't imagine it would vary all that much. I can only vouch for my own experience with trying to get owncloud to work. After jumping through the hoops of getting mysql running and then php dialed in. By the time I had owncloud working it was just too slow for me to use in a practical situation. However I did learn a bit while doing so.

~Chris