Slow SSH tunnel speed

Gabriel Paré-Olivier

Apr 27, 2014, 2:46:27 PM4/27/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My overall goal is to access my shares from a remote location with some kind of security and at a good and steady transfer speed. I think setting an SSH tunnel to access he shares is a good way of achieving this goal. I've set a SSH tunnel following this procedure: http://www.nikhef.nl/~janjust/CifsOverSSH/Win8Loopback.html It's working, I'm glad.

The problem is that transfer speed are not very good. On LAN through SMB (normal share) I have 40+ Mbps on both directions (on WiFi, so about 80% of bandwidth). On SSH on LAN (same connection, only difference is that it's through SSH instead of SMB directly), average transfer speeds are about 7 Mbps. CPU load is high but not at 100%. Also transfer speed is oscillating between less than 1 Mbps to about 12 Mbps.

I'm trying to improve this. I've searched a bit, some people improved their performance by using other SSH encryption protocols: http://blog.christophersmart.com/2009/04/04/speed-test-on-the-dns-323/

I've looked the dropbear manual and it really seems to be designed for small computers. I guess someone smarter than me has already figured out what is the most appropriate encryption protocol and all the technical details.

My questions are:
1- Does somebody have much better transfer speeds through SSH than me?
2- Does somebody has an idea of what could be done to improve things?
3- Are some people using other methods to access shares from a remote location?

If someone can direct me to already made instructions that would be great, but I'm mainly searching for general directions or some guidelines.

Thank you,
Gab

João Cardoso

Gabriel Paré-Olivier

Apr 27, 2014, 4:38:09 PM4/27/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the fast answer.

I installed OpenSSH in the Alt-F packages, and in the /etc/ssh/ssh_config file I used the command :

Cipher arcfour

Now performance are a bit better. Also I see I'm not the only one with this problem.

Gab