Problems with new disks

Nathan Behe

Aug 18, 2012, 9:14:03 PM8/18/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I recently put new disks in my box running Alt-F  - I've tried to install packages, but keep getting this error when doing so:

Downloading of ipkg_0.99.163_arm.ipk from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1555717/DNS-323/Alt-F/pkgs/experimental failed.
ipkg: can't umount aufs branch, stopping services and retrying...
ipkg: can't umount aufs branch, exiting.

Can't seem to get ipkg installed..

Any help would be really appreciated!  I love Alt-F and have used it for several years now.  Great work!

Joao Cardoso

Aug 18, 2012, 9:53:31 PM8/18/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

Try setting the default package feed.
From the error message you are using the experimental feed.

Nathan Behe

Aug 18, 2012, 10:10:29 PM8/18/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
I would, but I can't.
It seems I haven't explained properly.  When I click on Packages->Alt-F I get a page that says:

No ipkg instalation found, install ipkg in:

(Select File System)

I select the file system and then get the error previously mentioned...

I was able to install FFP just fine, but not Alt-F..

These aren't new disks - I had left this box sit a long time, and I"m not sure what happened to it, but everything seems to be working except for the Alt-F packages...

Thanks!

Nathan Behe

Aug 18, 2012, 10:54:51 PM8/18/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Any chance I could just re-flash Alt-F?
I don't care about losing any data - just want to get it back in working order..

Joao Cardoso

Aug 19, 2012, 6:12:40 AM8/19/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:10:29 AM UTC+1, Nathan Behe wrote:
I would, but I can't.
It seems I haven't explained properly.

You have, but it was bed time :-

 When I click on Packages->Alt-F I get a page that says:

No ipkg instalation found, install ipkg in:

(Select File System)

I select the file system and then get the error previously mentioned...

You have changed the default package feed when you was using your old disks, then saved settings.Now, with the new disks, no Alt-F packages folder is found, and the experimental feed (now empty) does not have the necessary ipkg.

You can do one of the following:

-clear settings, or
-edit '/etc/ipkg.conf', uncomment the default feed (remove the leading #!# ) and delete the others. This has to be done in the box logged as the 'root' user, don't use MS editors for editing linux files, or
-drop the attached file in the /etc directory with name ipkg.conf As a bonus the new (default after RC3) feed will be configured. This is the easiest.

Don't forget to save settings after installing packages.
ipkg.conf

Nathan Behe

Aug 19, 2012, 12:29:49 PM8/19/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
A little further -

Now it says:

/Alt-F already exists.

An error occurred

I've tried renaming the Alt-F directory and Symlink to Alt-F_old but still gives same error..

I'm going to give the box a reboot and see if that changes anything... Can't find another Alt-F folder to get rid of (and a little worried about deleting any I find)..

Thanks so much Joao!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt-f/-/0b05CmwR3RgJ.

Nathan Behe

Aug 19, 2012, 12:52:12 PM8/19/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Wohoo!

Fixed - had to reboot... Marking as closed now.

Really appreciate all the help Joao - This is an amazing project that you have run for years.  I know that it helps me out a lot - and is just awesome ;-)

Just know that your work helps out a lot of people and we all appreciate it (running off to see if I can make a donation...)

-Nathan