ALT-F and D-Link DNS-321, trying to change the HOST name

Greg Curry

Aug 7, 2020, 1:42:10 PM8/7/20
to Alt-F

@ALT-F
I wanted to change the HOST name but it does not work.  I change it and same it and when you go into the web page of ALT-f it shows the new name but none of my devices that connect to it show the new name only the old name and even when I connect with a new computer it shows the old name!?

Greg Curry

Aug 7, 2020, 3:01:16 PM8/7/20
to Alt-F
It looks like it is my "netbios name" that is not changing, how to I change this?>

Greg Curry

Aug 7, 2020, 3:30:43 PM8/7/20
to Alt-F
I had to change the netbios name in the saved settings file on the computer and then upload the settings ad this worked but now it thinks that the smb.comf has changed and I click save but it does not seem to be saving?

Jeremy Laidman

Aug 9, 2020, 10:56:10 PM8/9/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
Greg

Perhaps change something else in the Samba settings, and see if you can then save the file.

Also, check the permissions of the smb.conf file. On my system, it's:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          1567 Aug 10 12:39 /etc/samba/smb.conf

Also, check the timestamp on the same file. I don't know if the "following files have been changed" does so by comparing files or timestamps.

Cheers
Jeremy

Greg Curry