Removing drive and moving data from DLink DNS-323 (Alt-F 1.0) to Synology DS213j

Denis Heraud

Mar 11, 2020, 2:55:35 PM3/11/20
to Alt-F

Hi all!

So I'm trying to move the data on my 4TB drives (2x4TB ext4 in Raid1) from a DLink DNS-323 (running Alt-F 1.0) to Synology DS213j (DSM 6.2).

I really don't want to do this over the network as the performance on the DNS-323 is dismal. I was more interested in removing one of the physical hard drives from the DNS-323 and moving the data over USB to the DS213j.

How can this be achieved? I tried failing one of the drives in Alt-F but it wouldn't let me remove it (some error about it being in use?), then I tried mounting the drive in Ubuntu to access the files and I just couldn't get it to mount (probably because I was unable to remove it from the array?).

In any case, is there a way to make at least one of my two mirrored drives readable outside the DNS-323 so that I can transfer my files over?

Thank you!

Tom Schmidt

Mar 11, 2020, 3:04:02 PM3/11/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
I suggest shutting down your DNS-323, then removing one of its drives.  Then if you have a SATA to USB adapter, you can connect that drive to the USB port of the Synology, mount it, then use rsync to transfer what you want.  Once completed, return the drive to the same bay on your DNS-323 and power it back up.  This way no RAID reconstruction is needed by breaking the mirror.

Tom

Denis Heraud

Tom Schmidt

Mar 11, 2020, 3:42:50 PM3/11/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
Since it is a RAID1 disk, you may have to make a md virtual disk for it first.  See  https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2012/05/08/how-to-mount-software-raid1-member-using-mdadm/ for an example.

Tom

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alt-f/8ec08af6-5431-4a50-92f9-19efbb0b7626%40googlegroups.com.

Denis Heraud

Mar 11, 2020, 4:17:53 PM3/11/20
to Alt-F
Thank you for the link, what is described there is my problem exactly! I will give that a try tonight and report back!

Denis Heraud

Mar 12, 2020, 1:46:19 PM3/12/20
to Alt-F
So I tried what the blog post suggests, however, I get the following error:

=======================================
~$ sudo cat /proc/mdstat

Personalities :
md127 : inactive sdd2[0](S)
      3906064080 blocks super 1.0

unused devices: <none>

~$ sudo mdadm -A -R /dev/md127 /dev/sdd2

mdadm: /dev/sdd2 is busy - skipping
=======================================

The HDD is in a USB enclosure, and once connected to my laptop, I get an error after running mdadm that /dev/sdd2 is "busy"...

I've googled that error but nothing seems to help me get past this.

Joao Cardoso

Mar 12, 2020, 10:12:23 PM3/12/20
to Alt-F

On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 5:46:19 PM UTC, Denis Heraud wrote:
So I tried what the blog post suggests, however, I get the following error:

=======================================
~$ sudo cat /proc/mdstat

Personalities :
md127 : inactive sdd2[0](S)
      3906064080 blocks super 1.0

unused devices: <none>

It shouldn't even say "inactive"

~$ sudo mdadm -A -R /dev/md127 /dev/sdd2

mdadm: /dev/sdd2 is busy - skipping

It thinks that sdd2 is already being used, you must stop the array first. The state that ssd2 is now depends on how the initial array was stopped and/or sdd2 removed from the array.
Use

mdadm --stop /dev/md127

and now 'cat /proc/mdstat' shouldn't print nothing and you can assemble it

mdadm --assemble /dev/md10 /dev/sdd2 # -A == --assemble, -R == --run

I used md10 here, you can use whatever you want, e.g. md0, as long as it does not exists, i.e., it does not appears on 'cat /proc/mdstat' output.

You can (would) now mount /dev/md10.

But the output of 'mdadm --examine /dev/sdd2'  would be useful.

If the array was created by the D-Link fw, the 'mdadm --examine' option would say Version 0.9 (or 0.90?), and if created under Alt-F it would be 1.0.
Both of these md versions put the raid metadata at the end of the partition, so the partition should be recognized as being ext2/3/4 (the 'blkid /dev/sdd2' command would say so) and it should be possible to mount sdd2 directly without assembling the array.
You couldn't do it, so I assume that some other error exists. I assume because you didn't post the sdd2 mount command you used and its the output.
If the md version is 1.1 or 1.2, the md metadata is put at the partition start, so 'blkid' will probably say its part of a raid array and it has to be assembled before for it to be mounted.

Denis Heraud

Mar 24, 2020, 9:14:52 AM3/24/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao! Thank you for your post.

I ended up getting it to mount (finally!) before reading your post after I came across this post:

Thanks for your input!