Remote login IP address configuration

Goolias Andreas

Nov 12, 2014, 10:51:37 PM11/12/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wanted to remote login to Alt-F, my address kept changing so I won't be sure the exact IP address to put in.
I tried the following:
0.0.0.0/24
It prompts error 403 Forbidden

Any ideas what should be the IP address if I am login in from remote dynamic IP address?

João Cardoso

Nov 12, 2014, 11:05:00 PM11/12/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
You should use ddns, Services->Network, there are free DDNS servers out there.
Or if you want to remove all restrictions, edit /etc/httpd.conf and comment accordingly.

WARNING: the ALT-F webUI was not designed, nor audicted, with any but the most elementary security precautions, appropriate only for naive normal user attack attempts. This means that it might be susceptible to attacks, and you don't want to expose it to the internet.

Services provided by Alt-F, such as ftp or ssh, have their own security, BUT by default and for memory saving reasons, they are launched by inetd, which is know to be susceptible to attacks. If you want to expose those services to the internet you should launch them in server or standalone mode, not under inetd control.

Goolias Andreas

Nov 13, 2014, 12:43:25 AM11/13/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
HI,

I have DDNS and my router port forward to Alt-F. Problem is when I am outside I am on dynamic IP that changes up to twice a day.
I prefer to be able to access it while I out of home so that I can manage it, not waiting until I get home.
I do aware of the security concern, I only enable the port when I have the need I close it when I done.

Ronaldo Antoni

Nov 13, 2014, 5:58:56 AM11/13/14
to Grupo Alt-F
If you want to allow access from any address, use: 0.0.0.0/0!

Ronaldo Antoni
(54)9979-8920

Ronaldo Antoni

Nov 13, 2014, 5:59:52 AM11/13/14
to Grupo Alt-F
You need to redirect ports on your router too!

Ronaldo Antoni
(54)9979-8920