Re: [Alt-F] Bricked DNS323 I need help. SSH doesn't work either and says connection refused.

Joao Cardoso

Mar 15, 2024, 2:57:21 PMMar 15
to al...@googlegroups.com
On 14/03/24 17:41, Stefan Moll wrote:
Dear all,

I am a beginner with Linux and Alt-F and installed Alt-F on my DNS-323. All worked fine. I got the great Idea to set quotas of diskspace on users. There was no way to set quotas in my installation on the web interface. I found and installed the package "quota tools" in Alt-F packages. Installation of the package worked fine, I tried to set the quotas and the system asked me to disable services which I did. The only service the I could not disable by clicking "StopNow" was inet.
That's deliberate, and for good reasons, stopping inetd  is like loosing the keyboard and monitor on a PC...
So, I tried to go into configure and removed all hooks for the service. As I did this, I thought this might not be a clever idea, but it was too late. After that I got the connection refused error as on the picture attached. Is there a way to access the box and to recover?

You have to telnet the box at port 26 after pressing the reset button for more than 10 seconds (but less then 20 secs), read the "Button Recovery Actions" section in the wiki
After that you have to kill the still running inetd process, and after three minutes an always running "watch-inetd" process will relaunch inetd with a minimum working configuration.

As a simpler alternative for a new linux user, perform a full reset by pressing the reset button for more than 20 seconds; you will loose all setting (not your disk data) and after an automatic reboot you will have to reenter them all.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 182121.png
I hope you can help me to get this box back up and running.

Best regards and thank you for your help. Stefan

Stefan Moll

Mar 21, 2024, 9:02:44 AMMar 21
to Alt-F
Dear Joao, thanks for your feedback. In the meantime, I got the box working again but I still can't get quotas to work. It still is asking me to stop all services. What am I doing wrong?

Best regards, Stefan

Joao Cardoso

Mar 22, 2024, 10:12:58 PMMar 22
to Alt-F
On Thursday, March 21, 2024 at 1:02:44 PM UTC stefa...@gmail.com wrote:
Dear Joao, thanks for your feedback. In the meantime, I got the box working again but I still can't get quotas to work. It still is asking me to stop all services. What am I doing wrong?

Your are doing nothing wrong. It happens that the quotas webUI was never finished.
Alt-F has however quota handling in its infrastructure, so after enabling quotas it should work.
Setting quotas for specified users or groups has to be done from the command line, with commands as simple as
   setquota -u manulima 1000 2000 0 0 /dev/md1
where manulima is the username, 1000 is the space soft/warn limit, 2000 the space hard limit, 0 0 disables quota soft/hard  limits on number of files

The webUI only reports current usage and limits, and there will be no notifications whatsoever.

To enable quotas for ext3 or ext4 you have to set
   defaults,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group

as the "Mount Options" under Disk->"Filesystem Maintenance", then select "Set Mnt Options" under "FS operation", then "Save settings" and reboot.
After reboot, go to Disk->Quotas and hit "CheckNow" -- this will take some time and there is no visual feedback that it is running... perhaps the Status page shows a high Load while it is running and collecting data. This initial procedure hasn't to be repeated, you can use the Report button to show current usage.

For ext2, the mount options has to be 'defaults,usrquota,grpquota'

Let me know if you need further help,
João

PS-The "Stop services" error you got is because the filesystem can't be unmounted to add the quota mount options; this is why you have to set it yourself in FS Maintenance.