Molasses Latte = Good

Steve Freides

May 18, 2013, 3:10:50 PM5/18/13
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
We're always up for trying something new with coffee here, and for the
last month or so, we've switched from using our homemade vanilla sugar
syrup to using black strap molasses (organic, bought from the local
Whole Foods)

I really like this, and I also especially enjoy that kids seem to
think, by the color of this combination of espresso, molasses, and
half-and-half, that I'm drinking chocolate milk until I explain to
them what's in my cup. I use about 1 teaspoon of molasses with a
double-shot of espresso and a more-or-less equal amount of cream. NB:
I use a bit more water than most in my espresso, so you might try
starting with less than a teaspoon's worth of molasses.

I make these both hot and iced - both are delicious.

Why? Well, I found myself reading about the health benefits of black
strap molasses and decided to give it a try. My wife is taking a
spoonful of the stuff like medicine every morning and says she's
pretty sure that one of the things she read about, the restoration of
some
color to grey hair, is happening to her.

FWIW, I don't always drink my coffee the same way. I tend to start
the day with black espresso and stick with that through the morning,
move to lattes by midafternoon, and often end the day with a latte
with a shot of Jim Beam in it as a nightcap.

Our coffee is a home-roasted blend that's 2/3 Sumatra of some sort - I
vary it alot and usually have 3-4 different kinds here - and the
remaining 1/3 is some more "normal" coffee, again variable by whatever
struck my fancy from Sweet Marias or elsewhere.

If anyone gives it a try, give a holler and let me know what you think.

-S-

Ben Moore

Mar 12, 2014, 10:08:52 AM3/12/14
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting this!  I'm going to make one this afternoon!

Steve Freides

Mar 12, 2014, 12:48:58 PM3/12/14
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
Great - let us know what you think of it. We've also mixed molasses
and more traditional sweeteners to good effect, if you find the
molasses taste too much for you by itself in coffee.

-S-