Better crema in espresso

John Henry

Feb 2, 2015, 6:22:35 PM2/2/15
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
In my unending search for more and better crema. I've hit on a great method
that also gets around the
requirements for extremely fresh coffee as well as obviating the necessity
to stir sugar in the espresso cup and thus,
destroying what little crema there is.

(Use a double shot basket, even though you'll only get slightly more than a
single shot pour)

Fill the basket half way with your ground espresso, then tamp firmly, put in
a tsp. of sugar, evenly distributed over the  espresso as to cover the puck
completely, tamp firmly, finish by topping off the basket with instant
coffee, any brand will do...tamp again firmly.

That's it!  you'll get lots of crema...great tasting, pre-sweetened espresso
that looks beautiful in the cup.
(for you purists) I've tried it without the instant coffee, but you just
don't get the crema and it usually pours too fast,
the instant coffee layer is VERY important, believe it or not!!!

I've also noticed that by using this method the freshness of your coffee
beans is not that important, you'll ALWAYS get
plenty of crema and very RICH flavor no matter what!!!

Try this method!  You'll love the results!!!!

Cheers,

Eulalio

scott stap

Feb 9, 2015, 11:29:09 AM2/9/15
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
I saw this done @ Coffee Waves espresso shop in Corpus Christi years ago
http://www.coffeewaves.com/   The Barista and I hit it off so well he insisted on showing me the trick. I of course had to try it at home too ;-)

North L. Sullivan

Feb 9, 2015, 1:39:14 PM2/9/15
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
On 02/09/2015 10:28 AM, scott stap wrote:

I think I'll stick with fresh roasted for a sweet shot with no sugar.  But different strokes for different folks.  :)

scott stap

Feb 10, 2015, 9:44:07 AM2/10/15
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
I tried it at home, did not stick with it. Did not really taste that much difference. I like it untainted I guess.