Poppery II - Thermostat?

Steve Freides

Feb 2, 2013, 5:45:51 PM2/2/13
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if my Poppery II (air popcorn popper) has a
thermostat or other mechanism by which it might cycle itself on and
off? Mine doesn't stop but I'm wondering if the heat actually goes on
and off. I put mine on a variac and I still here it doing
_something_, usually not on the first batch I roast but on subsequent
batches, and I'm wondering if there is some sort of thermal safety
built in?

Thanks in advance.

-S-

pedxing

Feb 4, 2013, 12:04:02 AM2/4/13
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com

Steve Freides

Feb 4, 2013, 8:28:44 AM2/4/13
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much.

In another life (a few decades ago when I had more time, or a decade or two in the future, when I might have more time again), I'd love to do this myself.  However, today, I'd be delighted to pay you or someone else here to buy a popcorn popper for me and modify it to get hotter.  If you or anyone else here is interested, please email me and let me know.

I currently own a Poppery II and a Popcorn Pumper.  I switched to the latter yesterday and am again getting good roasts, so I suspect these things have a fairly limited lifespan but, for what they cost, I'm not complaining.  I actually need another because we do also roast popcorn, too.

-S-

-S- Sent from my iPad via Gmail Mobile

scott stap

Feb 4, 2013, 8:28:52 AM2/4/13
to alt-coffee...@googlegroups.com
Not so much a thermostat as a heat protection over temp switch. It keeps the heat down into the normal realm for popcorn. That must be defeated to get up to temp for coffee. This is one main reason all websites that show the mod have a disclaimer that doing so may result in destruction of popper, and/or property surrounding the popper due to an extreme thermal event (fire...).
Usually what I do it take the popper apart, find the thermal switch and wire it closed by slipping a small piece of wire under the switch and then twist it above the switch holding it in the closed position. Takes about 15-20 minutes.

The switch is item B on the picture at that tutorial pedxing sent.  http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZByKAI28tEg/TSE7x2vrPuI/AAAAAAAAC3A/JKdTWcswgV4/s1600/p2-10.jpg

Looks like I am going to have to write my own tutorial because I have never gone through that much effort on one of these and have been using them for years... The most effort I ever put into one was an original Poppery (higher wattage) and all I did there was separate the heater circuit from the fan circuit so I could unplug the heat for a fantastic cool down.

Scott