Espresso Machine Mods

Rod Dirks

Aug 30, 2015, 7:49:04 PM8/30/15
to alt-coffee-moderated
Good day to all! Some will think this is a waste of time and money, no doubt it is! But, I love to tinker, and upgrading existing machine is far cheaper than buying a new machine, and you can do it a little at a time.

I have a Breville BES860XL, that I have modified somewhat already. I have put in a custom shower screen, bottomless portafilter, rheostat for controlling brew pressure, which I love because you can do somewhat of a pre-infusion. I have also added a custom OPV, and replaced the pump once.

What I am considering are two separate upgrades. I would like to take my thermoblock out, and put in a Silvia boiler. Has this ever been done on a thermo-block machine? If so, what was the process and success rate?

Also, I would like to add PID. Does this work on a thermo-block? If I swap in a boiler that question is no longer valid, but still would like to know.

Thanks to all who care to respond!