Workers' On Wednesday on SAfm

Lynn Thompson

May 23, 2016, 8:14:14 AM5/23/16
to Lynn Thompson

Late last year saw the emergence of the Fees Must Fall student protest movement. The movement’s main demand was for university fees not to be increased in 2016. Their united countrywide struggle that was taken to the highest levels of the ruling party and government ensured victory and within two weeks the president announced that there will be no university fee increases. However, at many campuses students included the demand to end outsourcing of university services and the related workers’ employment. Many students united with these over exploited and low paid workers who provide mainly cleaning, gardening and security services and demanded their insourcing with significant improvements to their conditions of employment.

In Wednesday's show we look at the experience of the insourcing campaign that united students and workers and how far they’ve come. What lessons are there for the labour movement from this experience?

The Education Struggle – workers
and students united for insourcing?

Tune in to
 “Workers On Wednesday”
 at 10.0am on

SAfm 105.1-106.6
for a discussion on

Labour Voices on the Airwaves!!
http://www.safm.co.za/digital/player/1.0/safm/index.html

GUESTS:
Mase Ramaru
Rhodes Must Fall

Sthembiso Tembe
NEHAWU

Please call in on 089 110 4207  to join the discussion.

Copyright © *2015 Workers' World Media Productions*, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Ly...@wwmp.org.za
unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

This email was sent to ly...@wwmp.org.za
WORKERS' WORLD MEDIA PRODUCTIONS · Community House · 41 Salt River Road · Cape Town, WESTERN CAPE 7925 · South Africa

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp