FYI: Grossglockner pass

Piaw Na(藍俊彪)

May 8, 2010, 12:27:32 AM5/8/10
to alps...@googlegroups.com

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Grossglockner pass
------------------------

From: Piaw Na(藍俊彪) <pi...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:11 AM
To: Jobst Brandt <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org>

Hey Jobst, I'm now stationed in Munich and am looking to do the
Grossglockner pass over the long weekend. My initial thoughts were to
take the train to Bad Reichenhall, ride down to Zell Am See for the
night, then climb Gross Glockner pass the next day and return via
Felbertauernstrasse and then climb Gerlos pass to the Achensee and
head to Bad Tolz. The problem there is that there appears to be a huge
long tunnel on Falbertauern. Do you know if that's passable by
bicycle?

The alternative seems to be to take the train to Lienz and then ride
Grossglockner pass. This is not as optimal because there's a 5 hour
train ride involved, which costs more, and who wants to spend 5 hours
sitting on a train anyway? Any suggestions? We only have a 4 day
weekend. (OK, I should complain less --- the cycling here is pretty
good, even without going into the alps, I'm just being greedy)

Piaw

----------
From: Jobst Brandt <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org>
Date: Sat, May 17, 2008 at 5:29 PM
To: Piaw Na <pi...@gmail.com>

Piaw Na,

> I'm now stationed in Munich and am looking to do the Großglockner
> head to Bad Tölz.  The problem there is that there appears to be a
Not passable!

I would ride back over the Brenner and take the train from Innsbruck.
That way you get to see the Dolomites from the north and its a
pleasant route over Lienz.  Of course Bruneck is a good JCT to go to
Cortina and see beautiful ladscapes.
Well in three days riding, you ought to do better than that.

--
Jobst

----------
From: Piaw Na(藍俊彪) <pi...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 7, 2010 at 5:28 PM
To: Jobst Brandt <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org>

Hi Jobst, just wanted to follow up on this thread from 2 years ago. I
never did get around to doing Grossgockner, but am going to make an
assault of it this year in June. I've noticed that you always do
Grossglockner from South to North. Any reason for that preference?

----------
From: Jobst Brandt <jbr...@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, May 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM
To: Piaw Na <pi...@gmail.com>

Piaw,
>> Cortina and see beautiful landscapes.
>>> ride Großglockner pass.  This is not as optimal because there's a
> did get around to doing Großglockner, but am going to make an
> Großglockner from South to North.  Any reason for that preference?

I've done it the other way as well, but it is on my return from the
Dolomites and the mountains to the south that I choose to get back to
(CH) from the south.  It's also a shorter climb from the south,
Heiligenblut being higher than Zell am See and there is a mid point
on the way up from the south with a beautiful view and leveling off.
Just the same, after the summit tunnel there is Mitteltörl and a climb
to the north summit that is short but steep.

Besides, I look forward to stopping at the Grübl hotel part way up the
old Gerlos road from Wald... don't miss it.  It's great and
Mrs. Kaiser a good host.  The view of the Pinzgau is worth it and I'm
sure you have seen the Austrian military vehicle the Pinzgauer... a
miniature six-wheel-drive Humvee.  Descending through Gerlos and down
into the Zillertal is a great ride and the steam RR to Strass is a
kick in the pants.  You can catch a train from there to Munich anyway.

Ride bike!
--
Jobst

----------
From: Piaw Na(藍俊彪) <pi...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM
To: Jobst Brandt <jbr...@sonic.net>

Ok. Well, this year we have considerably more time. We're landing in
Munich on the 16th of June and have 3 weeks to get to Rosenlaui. Lisa
and I will be on a tandem, so it'll take us 2.5 days to do one of your
days. :-) I'll find a way to do it from the South. We'll probably take
the train from Munich to Salzburg, and then head south along the
Tauern bike path. From there it looks like we can head West towards
Winklern to pick up the Grossglockner highway. My guess is from there
we can head over Timmelsjoch and then make our way over to Stelvio on
the way to Rosenlaui. I'll work it all out on a map and see.