Function key enhancement

yary

Nov 9, 2007, 2:52:37 PM11/9/07
to alphagrip
Hi all, just got a grip & am trying it out for the first time.

I think the function lock key can be improved. If you press a fn key
(1-9, 0, or R/H) then the fn lock should disengage when you let the fn
lock button go. One fewer click, if all you want to do is hit one fn
button.

If you want to hit several function keys in succession, then tapping
on the fn lock button can make it behave as it currently does.

Frankly, I think a fn LOCK is useless- do people really type strings
of F8 F2 F11 etc.? In 20 years of using systems with fn keys, I don't
think I ever have. The fn key should act like the shift keys.

yary

Nov 9, 2007, 3:27:19 PM11/9/07
to alphagrip
Typo in my original post:

> If you press a fn key (1-9, 0, or R/H)

> *while holding down the fn lock button*

galis...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2007, 12:07:17 PM11/10/07
to alphagrip
I actually use F11 repeatedly a lot, but I think that your suggestion
is probably a good one.

TradeHound

Nov 16, 2007, 7:49:14 AM11/16/07
to alphagrip
Programmers use Fkeys a lot.
I use F10 repeatedly to step thru code, F5 repeatedly to continue,
others too.
I see your point though, I suppose it would be ok to just hold the
shift down while F10, etc.

Mike Willner

Nov 16, 2007, 9:11:29 AM11/16/07
to alph...@googlegroups.com
Maybe it should work as a shift by default, but if you press it
simultaneously with a red shift button it locks (I think someone may have
already suggested this).

Mike

Tube...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2007, 1:07:28 AM12/8/07
to alphagrip
How about double tap locking? I used that in my remap script, but I
stole the idea from my pocket pc. Press and hold the key, and it works
like a normal shift. Tap it twice and it locks. Tap twice again to
release, or hold the key while the shift is locked to cancel it
temporarily.
Additionally, you can also tap a shift once on my pocket pc to shift
only the next typed character, but I decided not to include this in my
remap script because this is only useful when key combinations are
difficult or impossible to hold, like on a thumb keyboard.
You definitely need some sort of indicator for shift status though, or
else you'll easily get frustrated if the lock is active but you didn't
notice. But there's already a function lock LED on the AG, so that
shouldn't be a problem :-)

Mike Willner

Dec 9, 2007, 10:55:25 PM12/9/07
to alph...@googlegroups.com