Bluetooth AlphaGrip Prototype

Yann Vernier

Feb 25, 2012, 2:06:02 PM2/25/12
to alphagrip
After a notable hiatus I have picked up the Bluetooth Alphagrip
project again. Last weekend I started building a programmer for the
Alphagrip, based on a Lattice MachXO2 breakout board. I added a
voltage pump then, using a bunch of capacitors and diodes. Today I
finished it off, adding serial communication and finally getting to
talk to the monitor ROM in the Alphagrip. I confirmed function by
controlling the LEDs.

This means I have quite probably finished the hardware parts of this
build. I can now load firmware, and the next step is writing that. A
whole bunch of sections need to be done:

0. Code loading support (either extend my test code or use bl08)
1. LED control (registers confirmed, next step is program control)
2. Keyboard scanning (can be diagnosed via LEDs)
3. Soft UART routines to talk to Bluetooth module
4. Bluetooth module protocol support (one of the bigger parts)
5. SPI reading of trackball reports
6. Integration of all of the above for BT Alphagrip
7. Possibly reimplement USB support (at which point the OpenAG5 goal
is achieved)

I will be relying on SDCC for compilation, and may try to get RAM
based tests up first. In hindsight it would have been better to verify
the BT module on its own, but I am making progress... when I do
anything. This is still a hobby project among many, but my new year's
resolution was to get this done. Thanks again to Mike W for donating a
device to work on.

Mike Willner

Feb 26, 2012, 8:20:25 AM2/26/12
to alph...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you are making excellent progress. Thank you for doing this and sharing with the Group.

Alison McKellar

Feb 26, 2012, 9:00:29 AM2/26/12
to alph...@googlegroups.com, alph...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for all your hard work!

Sent from my iPhone

Yann Vernier

Jul 23, 2012, 6:20:29 PM7/23/12
to alph...@googlegroups.com
This means I have quite probably finished the hardware parts of this
build. I can now load firmware, and the next step is writing that. A
whole bunch of sections need to be done:

0. Code loading support (either extend my test code or use bl08)
My code works for loading code into the very limited RAM. I have not yet overwritten the flash, which is the point when the modified alphagrip loses normal function.
1. LED control (registers confirmed, next step is program control)
Updating the LEDs from software has been tested (blinking).
2. Keyboard scanning (can be diagnosed via LEDs)
3. Soft UART routines to talk to Bluetooth module
Perhaps halfway there? This part is timing critical hand coded assembly which I'm working on.
Unless I'm mistaken, it's feasible to do 3x oversampling and transmitting and receiving at once.
Testing pending. Because timing is tight, each UART character will need to disable interrupts.

Mike W

Jul 24, 2012, 8:28:11 AM7/24/12
to alph...@googlegroups.com
There's nothing like persistence! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

Edu Serna

Jul 25, 2012, 1:36:49 PM7/25/12
to alph...@googlegroups.com
This is so impressive!!!