Alluxio 2.6.0 Release

Bin Fan

Jun 29, 2021, 2:43:30 PM6/29/21
to Alluxio Users, Shouwei Chen
Dear Alluxio users,

We are excited to announce Alluxio 2.6.0, a release containing various feature enhancements and bug fixes on top of 2.5.X releases. Feel free to download the release today! Highlights of this release include:

Unified Alluxio Worker and FUSE Process
Alluxio 2.6 supports running FUSE as a part of a worker process (documentation). Coupling the two helps reduce interprocess communication, which is especially evident in AI/ML workloads where file sizes are small and RPC overheads make up a significant portion of the I/O time. In addition, containing both components in a single process greatly improves the deployability of the software in containerized environments, such as Kubernetes.

Improved Distributed Load
Alluxio 2.6 improves the efficiency of distributed load and its user experience (documentation), in addition to more traceability and metrics for easier operability. The distributed load command is a key portion commonly used for many users to pre-load data and speed up subsequent training or analytics jobs.

Instrumentation Framework
Alluxio 2.6 adds a large set of metrics and traceability features enabling users to drill into the system’s operating state (documentation). These range from aggregated throughput of the system to summarized metadata latency when serving client requests. The new metrics can be used to measure the current serving capacity of the system and identify potential resource bottlenecks. Request level tracing and timing information can also be obtained for deep performance analysis.

Read our release notes or the documentation for more details. A huge thanks to the Alluxio community and everyone who contributed to the release and/or tested the release candidates.

Best,

Shouwei Chen (Alluxio 2.6.0 Release Manager), Bin Fan (Alluxio PMC co-Chair)