Will alluxio respect the gid/uid of the NFS ufs'?

Weihong Xu (link89)

Oct 21, 2022, 2:56:40 AM10/21/22
to Alluxio Users

Hi, I come into Alluxio when I am looking for a solution to speed up tensorflow task that running on a legacy HPC cluster, whose file system is GPFS. Now we are experiencing terriable IO performance issue to read data from GPFS directly. I think Alluxio can help with the issue by using the RAM and local disk as the cache layer of the GPFS.

One concern is the HPC cluster have mulitple user and they put data in their own directory that only themselves can access.
Let's said the fs structure is

/gpfs
    /user1  # only user1 have rw permission
    /user2  # only user2 have rw permission

I hope that I can create a volumn whose ufs is set to /gpfs
And when user1 mounts the volumn to his home, for example, to /home/user1/alluxio-fs,
he can only access /home/user1/alluxio-fs/user1 and not allow to access /home/user1/ alluxio-fs/user2 due to the Linux permission setting.

Is it possible for Alluxio to support this? Any suggestion will be welcomed.