Signal as a System Service

Dominique Wyniger

Jan 24, 2012, 5:12:45 PM1/24/12
to Alloysoft
Hi

I was very surprised to find Signal to fit my needs so far. I am
building a touchpanel to control several features in my home. One is
the iTunes Instance that is running as a system service on my windows
2008 server. I was looking for a webbased control 'cause that way I
could easyli integrate the iTunes control in a simple webbased
"touchpanel".

It works perfect - as long as I run Signal and iTunes as normal
applications. I can control iTunes with including multiroom support.
But... If iTunes is running as a system service - it seems signal is
connecting as I can browse the library. But I can not start playback.
Since signal shows even all the airplay devices in my network I assume
that signal is working correct. Somehow the connection to iTunes seems
to be broken somehow.

I know it's not the purpose Signal was built for. But maybe you see
the cause and a simple solution to fix my problem and make Signal a
perfect remote to use with touchscreens (it's almost there) ;-)

thanks in advance
domi

Dominique Wyniger

Jan 24, 2012, 5:43:52 PM1/24/12
to Alloysoft
typically... right after writing my post I have found the thread about
BB Playbook and the known problem on windows. In my case there is no
dialog box since it's running as service and has no gui at all. Also
from the remote on my iphone (apple remote) playback is working fine.
I reinstalled iTunes like it's suggested in the documentation but it
didn't help. Too bad it wasn't that.

One more thing: the iTunes service is running under the credentials of
the logged in user (Admin rights) - not under the system account.

Matt Stevens

Jan 24, 2012, 5:55:13 PM1/24/12
to allo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for giving Signal a try! I'm afraid the case you have in mind won't work because the COM interface Signal uses to talk to iTunes doesn't function when one of the apps is run as a system service. The media library and speaker lists work because Signal reads those directly, but pretty much everything else goes through the iTunes COM API.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you here, just let me know if you have any other questions.

--
Matt Stevens
www.alloysoft.com

Dominique Wyniger

Jan 24, 2012, 6:35:12 PM1/24/12
to Alloysoft
Thanks for your explanation. It helps me to understand WHY it doesn't
work fully. I am not familar with API programming and have only very
limited knowledge in programming. But I will do some research - maybe
I can find out if there is any work around. Somehow the original apple
remote is working so I assume there are other ways to communicate with
iTunes running as service. I just don't know if this will bring me any
further. :-)

I will not give up just because this 'limitation in my case'. Maybe I
could set up a virtual machine running iTunes on the server or
something like that. I will report back if I found any solution or
workaround. Thanks for your great software in any case. I was
searching for weeks for a software like signal.

regards
Dominique Wyniger

Matt Stevens

Jan 24, 2012, 6:50:16 PM1/24/12
to allo...@googlegroups.com
The Remote app on iOS works because it uses a network-based interface that Apple added specifically for that app. I have looking into adopting this for Signal, but since it is not officially supported I am concerned about Apple locking it down. They already did this on the Apple TV and I would really hate for an iTunes update to break Signal for everyone.

Good luck with your search, if you find a way to get it working I'd love to hear about it!

Matt