Losing connections after 5-10 minutes

Jim Reitz

Aug 31, 2015, 2:36:50 PM8/31/15
to Alloysoft
Hi - new to Signal, purchased a license on 8/7/15. I'm installing a whole-house music system with iTunes running on Windows 7 PC, to be controlled by combination of iPhones/iPads/RTI touchscreens. I can get everything working, but after 10-15 minutes it seems that Signal loses its connection to iTunes. This affects all Signal clients - Safari browser on iPhone as well as RTI KX2 and T2x touchscreen remotes (so it's not specific to the RTI driver). To get the clients to re-connect, I need to go into iTunes on the Win7 PC (via RDP), and click most any control or playlist entry. This seems to "wake up" the connection, and the Signal clients start working again.

Attached is a Signal log file, you can see "idle" HTTP connections periodically being closed, and new ones being opened. Somewhere in this logic is where the problem seems to occur.

Configuration (Server):
Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH (Core i5)
Windows 7 64-bit, latest "important" updates installed including IE11
iTunes for Windows 12.2.2.65 (latest version installed)
Signal 1.7.6.1

Configuration (Clients):
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, Safari browser connected to Signal server
iPad Air2, iOS 8.3, Apple Remote app connected to iTunes
RTI T2x remote, current firmware, 2-way connection WiFi to XP-8s processor running Alloysoft RTI driver.
RTI KX2 touchscreen, current firmware, 2-way connection Ethernet to XP-8s processor running Alloysoft RTI driver.

I'm *assuming* that 1) Signal can serve multiple clients simultaneously, and 2) iTunes can support heterogeneous DAAP clients simultaneously (both Apple Remote and Signal). Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong. Also, is there a practical limit for simultaneous client connections using Signal?  Eventually if this works, there could be up to 8 KX2s, 2 T2xs, and a couple iPads all controlling the same music server.  We don't need multi-zone, multiple-instance support - just one song playing everywhere is fine.

Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas are welcome - thanks!

- Jim Reitz

Signal-2015-08-31.log