Not Showing Up in iTunes Device List

Clinton Douglass

May 25, 2014, 9:14:57 AM5/25/14
to allo...@googlegroups.com
With the expection of having to modifying the Windows 7 firewall I usually don't have a problem with installing Signal. Yesterday I installed it on a customers Windows 7 PC and it worked well with WMP but it wouldn't show up as a device within iTunes so that I could pair it.

Any suggestions on what I should do to troubleshoot?

Matt Stevens

May 25, 2014, 10:05:10 AM5/25/14
to allo...@googlegroups.com
On May 25, 2014, at 7:14 AM, Clinton Douglass <clintonsco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the expection of having to modifying the Windows 7 firewall I usually don't have a problem with installing Signal. Yesterday I installed it on a customers Windows 7 PC and it worked well with WMP but it wouldn't show up as a device within iTunes so that I could pair it.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should do to troubleshoot?

The pairing mechanism relies on the Bonjour service installed with iTunes, so if that has been explicitly disabled pairing won’t work. You can check that via the “View local services” control panel. Bonjour uses UDP port 5353, so if that has been blocked pairing will also fail.

Note that recent versions of iTunes no longer display the pending pairing as “Signal” but as “Remote”. I need to update the instructions to reflect this.

You may also want to check Signal’s debug log by opening its settings window and pressing Ctrl+Shift+D. If any errors were encountered on Signal’s side they should be logged here.

Matt

Clinton Douglass

May 25, 2014, 12:09:38 PM5/25/14
to allo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you I will give that a shot next time I'm there.