Infinite polling for same person - Urgent help

Venkat Chandra

Jul 12, 2018, 8:12:43 PM7/12/18
to All Our Ideas
Hello All:

We were looking to leverage the product for something we are doing. One of the issues with the functinality currently is the infinite polling allowed on the same pair. Basically. the options keep coming and there is no end to it. For a user this presents as a very odd approach (irrespective of whether its mathematically or logically valid). We were looking to leverage for business users. We are wondering if anyone has tried to implement any functionality to address this issue ?  Can you please give guidance on how this can be achieved ?

Thanks so much for the help!

Thanks
Venkat

Matthew J. Salganik

Jul 13, 2018, 10:20:29 AM7/13/18
to allou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Venkat,

The wiki surveys are designed to keep going.  The reasoning is explained in our paper: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0123483

We have not explicitly designed a version with a fixed ending.

All the code is open source, so you are welcome to fork it and make whatever modifications you wish: https://github.com/allourideas

Take care,
Matt

--------------
Matthew J. Salganik
Department of Sociology
Princeton University
145 Wallace Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544

My new book---Bit by Bit: Social Research in the Digital Age---is now available:

Howie Fung

Apr 16, 2021, 1:22:37 AM4/16/21
to All Our Ideas
Mathew,

Regarding this -- if someone answers the same pair multiple times, does each response carry additional weight when the stack rank is calculated?

Thanks!

Howie

Matt Salganik

Apr 16, 2021, 2:59:24 PM4/16/21
to allou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howie,

Each vote is counted in the same way.  There is no de-duplication of votes if someone answers the same prompt multiple times.

Take care,
Matt

-----
All Our Ideas

145 Wallace Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544

Howie Fung

Apr 16, 2021, 3:03:19 PM4/16/21
to allou...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

Thanks for the response! If the same pair (eg A vs B) is presented twice, but the user votes A the first time and B the second time, is the first vote discarded?

Howie

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "All Our Ideas" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allourideas/11E6092E-5759-4D88-A068-D6ABD381857E%40allourideas.org.
--
Howie

Matt Salganik

Apr 18, 2021, 3:11:43 PM4/18/21
to allou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howie,

In that situation, the first vote is not discarded.

Matt

-----
All Our Ideas
145 Wallace Hall