Pics/drawings of steering/table innards on the 31’

Capt ScubaDave Waechter

Apr 2, 2020, 8:37:01 AM4/2/20
to Allmand
Recent owner of an ‘83 Allmand 31. I’m repowering with a Yanmar 3YM20, but am considering changes to the steering, as well. Are there any pics/drawings around that show the innards of the steering/table details? I’ve seen Hank Green’s article on the AllmandSail.com site, but there’s more detail on the Edson end of the job than what to expect opening the table box up.

Can a partial replacement/table cut off be done? How strong is the psuedo-binnacle table at the aft end vs the forward end?

Hope enough folks stay active here to help each other out. I’ll be happy to add my thoughts as I get more into things. Hopefully, the current Covid-19 crisis will not change plans.

All stay safe and healthy.

Capt ScubaDave
Allmand 31 Hull #187
S/B Salty Dog II
Chocowinity, NC

Jim Flowers

Apr 2, 2020, 12:47:00 PM4/2/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
I have an Edison pedestal steering and works great. It also adds a lot of room to the cockpit
image1.jpeg

David Waechter

Apr 7, 2020, 6:37:14 PM4/7/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jim. I have an Edson on my IP27 that I’m selling, but it’s not for steering, just instruments. The steering shaft goes aft through the skipper’s seat to drive a quadrant on the rudder shaft directly. Another weird set up, but it works.

I’m looking at an Edson online that would be perfect, but it’s pricey, even used.

Fair winds,

Capt ScubaDave

Sent from my iPhone; fat fingers, little keys! Please excuse misspellings and inappropriate auto corrections.

> On Apr 2, 2020, at 12:47 PM, 'Jim Flowers' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I have an Edison pedestal steering and works great. It also adds a lot of room to the cockpit
>
> --
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/712A34E7-A1B0-4A11-939B-181BF0B4BF67%40aol.com.
> <image1.jpeg>
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>> --
>> --
>>
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/a25f7591-be1a-4b1d-94c5-207cebfef804%40googlegroups.com.
>
> --
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/712A34E7-A1B0-4A11-939B-181BF0B4BF67%40aol.com.

steven Eklund

Apr 7, 2020, 6:37:37 PM4/7/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
Will a 3YM20 fit. When I repowered I think there was not enough bottom clearance and had to put in a 2GMF

David Waechter

Apr 9, 2020, 11:23:41 AM4/9/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
When I got the boat, it had a 3GM30 in it. They had added a 3/4” lift StarBoard piece along the top of the engine mounts and it seemed to fit in the compartment perfectly.

Unfortunately, they didn’t put in a proper exhaust system and wound up back-flooding that engine and destroying it! I got the boat very cheaply because of this and found a 3YM20 that was 2 years old, taken from a Hurricane Dorian damaged boat for half the cost of a new one, including a new style instrument panel, harness,  KM2P transmission, lift muffler and mountings. It only had 69 hours on it and runs like new.

It’s in the boat now, but not fully installed yet. It’s a 10 hour drive from home to where boat currently is and the Pandemic (and family concern) is keeping me from getting to it to finish the installation and bringing it home. I’ve done all the work myself, so far, including removal of the old GM engine and prep for the YM. It’s been enlightening and fun!

Hope to get back to it soon, but it’s still a Covid-19/Coronavirus epicenter around the marina area, for now.

Capt ScubaDave
Dave Waechter

S/V Salty Dog II
Allmand 31, Hull #187

On Apr 7, 2020, at 6:37 PM, steven Eklund <eklund...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/CAHacW1pkkrmCYa9OkHHxw3Bt5nkJU7wh25voEprTUPeNcGfU6g%40mail.gmail.com.

Jim Flowers

Apr 9, 2020, 5:04:03 PM4/9/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
I have a 3YM30 in my Allmond 31. Installed about 5 yrs ago. Works flawlessly and gives me an average speed of 5 knots burning 1/2 gal per hour.  Make sure you change the impeller every year even though the manual says every 3 years.

Jim
Punta Gorda

Sent from my iPhone

David Waechter

Apr 9, 2020, 9:48:29 PM4/9/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
Jim

Thanks for the insight! I have a 3YM30 on the Island Packet 27 I’m fixing up to sell. It gives me great reliability and economy, too.

I decided on the 3YM20 on the Allman 31 for  two reasons: 1- a two year old unit with only 69 hours at half the new price, 2- the Allmand I have has the original prop on it that went with the original Universal 2516 Engine. It wasn’t upgraded when the 3GM30 was put in a few years ago. The owner back flooded that engine and I had fun removing it single-handed from the boat. Anyway, for the original prop isn’t designed for that HP engine, so cruising rpms won’t load the engine and over-revving the engine will cavitate and that will eat at the prop. The boat is in the water in New Rochelle, NY and I plan to bring it down to NC as soon as I can.

Again, thanks for the vote of confidence in the Yanmar.

Capt ScubaDave
Dave Waechter

S/V Salty Dog II
Chocowinity NC

Sent from my iPhone; fat fingers, little keys! Please excuse misspellings and inappropriate auto corrections.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 5:04 PM, 'Jim Flowers' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,

Capt ScubaDave

May 10, 2020, 7:55:54 AM5/10/20
to Allmand
Just got back from a week on the boat doing final install of the Yanmar 3YM30! Fits beautifully and kicked over in seconds of pushing the start button after attaching fuel, exhaust, water and control cables. Took a while to align, but no problem with the fit.

Don’t know how to post pics in this forum? Any hints? Glad to share.

Lipham

May 10, 2020, 8:21:21 AM5/10/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
I have the same motor, you will love it.

Sent from my iPad