Deciphering the Allmand HIN

Skip Hansen

Nov 19, 2019, 12:19:57 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
I see it as 31, model, number built would be the next three numbers, 128 , the letter M is the month of the build the next two numbers are the year of the build, 81.
Please correct me if I’m misinformed

Sent from my iPhone

KEITH REYNOLDS

Nov 19, 2019, 12:44:03 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Skip,

I am not sure the M in that VIN means the month it was built mainly because I have seen that M in all 3 of my Allmands. I also know for a fact my 31/34 was finished in February and probably started the previous November or December.

Keith
> --
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/189C040C-7465-42B1-AA5C-ACEAD8A7DFB7%40sbcglobal.net.

Skip Hansen

Nov 19, 2019, 2:25:51 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible all three of your vessels were started in the same month, just different years?

Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/1355358172.431836.1574185441087%40connect.xfinity.com.

Eddie Hornick

Nov 19, 2019, 2:35:40 PM11/19/19
to Unknown
M is not a month, I don't believe, as it is the 13th letter and only the first 12 letters are used for designating the month. So it's cornfusing!
Eddie

KEITH REYNOLDS

Nov 19, 2019, 2:38:15 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Skip,

My 2 35's were built in 1982, hull number 9 and 19. I would doubt they were started at the same time but I certainly couldn't rule it out.

Keith
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/66160B11-C209-472E-AC08-BE93211E80A3%40sbcglobal.net.

Lipham

Nov 19, 2019, 2:39:34 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
According to my research the M in the HIN stands for Year as in M81 would be 1981

Sent from my iPad

Bill Cornpropst

Nov 19, 2019, 2:40:43 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Could the M mean motorized?

Bill

Lipham

Nov 19, 2019, 2:48:33 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Check out this site for HIN de coding

https://www.hinsearchplus.com/hs_userguide.aspx

Sent from my iPad

Skip Hansen

Nov 19, 2019, 3:07:09 PM11/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
You are correct in the fact that M is not a month .
The letter on that space represents a birth month of that vessel. Again let me preface it that there was no particular order in which the letters were assigned . Example H
Might represent August, while R could represent May. I believe there is a list of owners and HINs listed and published somewhere in these pages. I remember seeing them.  I’d be willing to say only 12 letters were used to identify the birth yrs of all sailboats made by the Allmand

Sent from my iPhone

Capt ScubaDave

May 10, 2020, 7:56:35 AM5/10/20
to Allmand
Allmand used one of several formats for HINs introduced In the 70s

HIN -> ABC 12345 M67D (Groups 1, 2 & 3)
1. Manufacturer Identification Code (MIC)
2. Hull or Serial Number (i.e. 31001) Allmand 31, Hull No. 001
3. Model year("M") followed by a two digit year, followed by a single letter for the manufacture month. Please note that the "Model Year" changeover was assumed to have happened in August with this format, so its possible the boat was built before its model year. The month codes are as follows:
A: Aug E: Dec I: Apr
B: Sep F: Jan J: May
C: Oct G: Feb K: Jun
D: Nov H: Mar L: Jul

KEITH REYNOLDS

May 10, 2020, 10:41:42 AM5/10/20
to all...@googlegroups.com
It was SOP among most sailboat manufacturers to change model years for boats completed after July. Put yourself in the shoes of a new boat dealer which I was, though after Allmand had gone out of business. We had to purchase our new inventory to have display models for the Fall Boat Shows. I got no factory discounts for providing them the display model for these shows. I also had to pay or begin floor plan interest costs before the boat was allowed to be off loaded from the trailer.
The last thing we wanted as dealers was to have a model year old boat to sell when everyone buying at the show wanted an upcoming year model since that was when they expected to launch and use it.
Without this mid year change I would have had to give additional discounts for a year old model as well as winter storage discounts to sell a boat I had only owned for one month.
If you looked at the Builders certificate and manufacturers statement of origin it was not uncommon to see model year and year built in conflict. This was generally the reason.
Keith