new purchases

KEITH REYNOLDS

Oct 19, 2019, 1:26:34 AM10/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,

I guess it is time to prove beyond any shadow of a doubt 2 things. One is my love (often irrational I must admit) for Allmand sailboats. Two, the lunatic level to which I am willing to take it.

Rose has convinced me that my advancing age coupled with coping with Agent Orange Parkinson's resulting from eating too much dirt as a Marine grunt in Vietnam has signaled the time to downsize from sailing my Saga 43. We have put over 58,000 nautical miles on her so it is probably time. To that end I have been working for the past 4 summers on a part time basis to put my one and only 34 foot Allmand back in the water. However, opportunities this year have led to my purchase of not one but two more Allmands.

In the first months of this year I decided to buy Dennis and Cheryl Jarzombek's 35 #19 "Open Circuit", an aft head tri-cabin boat as opposed to the forward head versions that are more common. I was intrigued by the different layout compared to my 34 which has the forward head. It does need a number of things so I have the boat in FL at the present time and am slowly working to bring it up to proper condition.

Finally, and mostly thanks to Sam Scudder who put the idea in my head that I needed a Pilot House version, I began to to look for a 35 Pilot House. So the day after Labor Day I became the proud owner of what had been Bill and Gretchen Cornpropst's 35 Pilot House #9, formerly "Sara V", then "Virginia Jane", now "Camelot" (actually the third but I left that part off the documentation request).

Home port for both boats will be Vero Beach, FL though I plan on keeping the PH Camelot in the Chesapeake for a while. I am fascinated by the differences available for advanced age cruising offered by the Pilot House. For any of you so inclined I highly recommend talking to Sam. I came very close to buying his boat but my need for a Port tack main salon berth for Rose made his not as desirable despite it having a number of features that I really liked and that I will have to spend quite a few dollars to replicate on Camelot 3.

If the moderator of this owners forum will take note and update the ownership of these two Allmand 35's I would appreciate it.

Wish me luck that I should live so long as to enjoy all three Allmands. I will probably sell one at some time but the jury is still out on which one. They are all very different from each other. Should any of you sail through Vero Beach, please look us up.

A very big Allmand fan,

Keith Reynolds

Bill Cornpropst

Oct 19, 2019, 4:37:49 AM10/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Best wishes for your FLEET Keith,

Bill

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/allmand/695272217.1034004.1571462792321%40connect.xfinity.com.

eddiecasey

Oct 19, 2019, 1:56:24 PM10/19/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Keith, glad to hear that you are still sailing. We couldn't find a pilot house 35. So in our aging years, after selling our 31' Allmond Joy , we bought a 28' Nauset bridge deck diesel powered boat. We love it however, we have since decided that we need more inside room and are now purchasing a Comano 31 Troll. Many of the 35 Pilot House Allmands were purchased and shipped out of the US. You were fortunate to get one. Happy boating !! Ed and Louise Smith, NPR, FL

Charlotte Dodd

Oct 23, 2019, 7:10:42 PM10/23/19
to Allmand
Hello All!  I want everyone to know that sadly my Allmand 35 was damaged in a storm in Sutton’s Bay, MI and the insurance company has declared it a total loss and paid me well for it.  I am sad to say that the holding company is apparently selling it for parts/scrap.  She had never been in salt water and the engine is in great shape.  The Five Nuts was the very last sailboat to leave my dad’s factory in Miami and was finished here in Michigan.  We Allmands have been the only owners and have enjoyed every minute of our adventures on her.
Thank you for your advice and support over the years.
Charlotte (Allmand ) Dodd

James Goepel

Oct 23, 2019, 7:30:17 PM10/23/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Charlotte,
I am so sorry to hear that.  I know how much she meant to you.  I lost my first sailboat in Hurricane Sandy, and I know how tough it is when it isn’t your decision to part with the boat, but mine didn’t have the added sentimentality that yours had.

Will you be looking for another Allmand?

 - Jim

On Oct 23, 2019, at 7:10 PM, Charlotte Dodd <charlo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

 Hello All!  I want everyone to know that sadly my Allmand 35 was damaged in a storm in Sutton’s Bay, MI and the insurance company has declared it a total loss and paid me well for it.  I am sad to say that the holding company is apparently selling it for parts/scrap.  She had never been in salt water and the engine is in great shape.  The Five Nuts was the very last sailboat to leave my dad’s factory in Miami and was finished here in Michigan.  We Allmands have been the only owners and have enjoyed every minute of our adventures on her.

Sherry Raintree

Oct 23, 2019, 8:04:47 PM10/23/19
to all...@googlegroups.com

Charlotte Dodd

Oct 24, 2019, 1:36:08 PM10/24/19
to all...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jim.
I am not looking to get a new boat right away. I will take a season off and enjoy the other boats in my family.
Charlotte

Mike H

Nov 6, 2019, 8:50:56 AM11/6/19
to Allmand
Wish you were on S'west coast where I'm rehabbing my 31 tri cabin for Winter 2020 coastal cruising. It's a perfect SV for our senior cruising and Winter escape from Ohio.

Mike H

Nov 6, 2019, 9:13:47 AM11/6/19
to Allmand
I missed this. I live on Lake Erie. Hate to see an Allmand hull scrapped. I'm crazy enough to buy the remains to rehab my A31 tri cabin. You and your family built a truly hard to replicate and affordable cruising SV. Best Wishes.

Mike H

Nov 7, 2019, 7:22:00 AM11/7/19
to Allmand
Has the vessel been scrapped yet. If not might some parts be acquired ?