Facebook Data set

Shyam krishna k

Jan 31, 2016, 8:57:10 PM1/31/16
to allfor...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
 Currently I am doing my project in Social Network Analytics. As a part of that I need the data set of Facebook. The data set must include user id,the number of likes, comments and shares made by the user on other user's(friend's) post. Also the number of mutual friends should be there. The data set in the site Friendfeed is not available for downloading. Can amy one help either by sharing the same or suggesting a source?

Expecting response.

--
With regards
Shyam Krishna K

Haris Ibrahim K. V.

Jan 31, 2016, 9:50:54 PM1/31/16
to allfor...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shyam,

Long time. :)

On 1 February 2016 at 07:27, Shyam krishna k <shyamkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Currently I am doing my project in Social Network Analytics. As a part of
> that I need the data set of Facebook. The data set must include user id,the
> number of likes, comments and shares made by the user on other
> user's(friend's) post. Also the number of mutual friends should be there.
> The data set in the site Friendfeed is not available for downloading. Can
> amy one help either by sharing the same or suggesting a source?

First of all, I think you picked a very good idea for a project there.
Data crunching, science and analytics are few of the hottest topics
around the industry these days. Good going!

Coming to your question, I can't speak from the Facebook interface
itself (insert mandatory brag about not having a Facebook account),
and I wouldn't recommend doing it that way even if you could.

Instead, use the Facebook APIs. Here are the docs:
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api.

If you are not familiar with the concept of APIs, then try to read
upon them a bit. Ask any doubts and we will do our best to help you.

The idea is simple - instead of clicking a button from the facebook
interface and downloading the data set, you send an http request to a
URL asking "Hey Facebook, how's it going mate? Look here, do you mind
giving me a few posts, their corresponding users, their ids and the
likes each posts have? Cool? Oh joy! Thanks so much!"

Of course, the API has restriction and you might not be able to get
the exact data that you're looking for, but close enough. Read through
the docs to understand what all data they provide like that.

I'll stop my senseless banter here. :) You should easily be able to
figure out how the API works. If in doubt, ask away!

Cheers man. Take care and as Matt Damon says - Science the shi* out of
that data set. :D

--
Haris Ibrahim K. V.
http://sosaysharis.wordpress.com