FOSS Cell inaugurated at NSS CE Palakkad.

Pirate Praveen

Aug 29, 2019, 8:58:42 AM8/29/19
to allforabacus
Just sharing this here as I remembered about this group.

https://social.masto.host/@praveen/102699785898235070

Pirate Praveen

Aug 29, 2019, 9:00:41 AM8/29/19
to allforabacus
I don't check this mail often, if you reply, copy me praveen at onenetbeyond.org

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights

Haris Ibrahim K. V.

Aug 29, 2019, 11:58:23 AM8/29/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Pirate Praveen
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 18:28, Pirate Praveen <pra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just sharing this here as I remembered about this group.
>

> https://social.masto.host/@praveen/102699785898235070

Even I forgot about this group :D

Good to see you still holding on tight to the good fight Praveen etta.
Those were the days...

> --

Haris Ibrahim K. V.
http://sosaysharis.wordpress.com
@harisibrahimkv

Nandaja Varma

Aug 29, 2019, 12:48:47 PM8/29/19
to allforabacus, Pirate Praveen
This is such a great news. I am so happy to see that NSS college has a
FOSSCell now! Wonder if there is a way to follow their activities.
Thanks a lot for the share, Praveenetta.

Have to say though, It is going a bit too far putting my name next to
Santhoshettan's. ;)

N.

--
Regards,
Nandaja Varma

Jishnu

Aug 29, 2019, 1:31:50 PM8/29/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Praveen A
Just here to say, I'm happy to see all of you in the same thread!

Regards,

Jishnu
https://j15h.nu

Aravind Nambissan

Aug 29, 2019, 3:21:07 PM8/29/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Pirate Praveen
And this is how it all starts again.
Regardless
I am in.

Ashik Salman

Aug 29, 2019, 3:23:54 PM8/29/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Praveen A
Hi All,

Glad to hear the news Praveenetta.

I would be happy to join with any programs if I can make it, keep this group updated with latest events. Otherwise let us know where we can find new updates. All the very best to all the people who behind it.

And,  as usual can see few people respond here, those were there always. Hope we can make an abacus gathering sometime in future.

Thanks & Regards
Ashik Salman
Mob: +91 9633 909 434
Mail: ash...@gmail.com

Jibin T J

Aug 30, 2019, 3:29:04 AM8/30/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Praveen A
Great news !!

A message here was totally unexpected but brings up some memories.

-Jibin

Anand Krishnan

Aug 30, 2019, 4:44:23 AM8/30/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Praveen A
Good initiative folks.

Really happy to see such things happening and it brings lot of memories :)

- Anand.

Ranjith T

Aug 30, 2019, 5:01:16 AM8/30/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Praveen A
Good to see the group active after a long period.

It's more happy to know that a FOSSCell started operating in NSSCE.

Thanks for the info, Praveen etta.

Regards,
Ranjith

Vasudev Parakkal

Aug 30, 2019, 5:35:06 AM8/30/19
to allfor...@googlegroups.com, Praveen A
Wow..! That's really great to know..! Happy for the team, and this brings back lot of good memories..!

Thanks & Regards,
Vasudev Parakkal
+91-97904-11572

Pirate Praveen

Aug 30, 2019, 9:10:38 AM8/30/19
to Ashik Salman, allfor...@googlegroups.com, Haris Ibrahim K. V, നന്ദജ വർമ്മ, Aravind Nambissan Abacus, ജിഷ്ണു

On 2019, ഓഗസ്റ്റ് 30 12:56:14 AM IST, Ashik Salman <ash...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Glad to hear the news Praveenetta.
>
>I would be happy to join with any programs if I can make it, keep this
>group updated with latest events. Otherwise let us know where we can
>find new updates. All the very best to all the people who behind it.

I have asked FOSS Cell coordinator Abhinav to post updates to this group.

I proposed a two day debian packaging workshop as a follow up activity.

You can also join #fossnss:matrix.org via Riot app. Matrix is a Free Software powered and federated replacement for WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype, Hangouts, Facebook Chat etc. Riot is the most feature complete app for android and desktop. I'm happy to see them using Matrix even before I tell them :) (the usual scenario is, I tell people about Matrix, they use it for a week and forget about it).

We also run a matrix server at poddery.com (use the same username and password as diaspora and change home server option to poddery.com).

Poddery is another project Nandaja and Haris was involved and I'm happy to tell it is still running fine and with new volunteers and features (bigger server too).

>And, as usual can see few people respond here, those were there
>always. Hope we can make an abacus gathering sometime in future.
>
>Thanks & Regards
>Ashik Salman
>Mob: +91 9633 909 434
>Mail: ash...@gmail.com

Pirate Praveen

Sep 1, 2019, 12:44:53 AM9/1/19
to Ashik Salman, allfor...@googlegroups.com, Haris Ibrahim K. V, നന്ദജ വർമ്മ, Aravind Nambissan Abacus, ജിഷ്ണു
[Resending with new address subscribed]

On 2019, ഓഗസ്റ്റ് 30 12:56:14 AM IST, Ashik Salman <ash...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Glad to hear the news Praveenetta.
>
>I would be happy to join with any programs if I can make it, keep this
>group updated with latest events. Otherwise let us know where we can
>find new updates. All the very best to all the people who behind it.

I have asked FOSS Cell coordinator Abhinav to post updates to this group.

I proposed a two day debian packaging workshop as a follow up activity.

You can also join #fossnss:matrix.org via Riot app. Matrix is a Free Software powered and federated replacement for WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype, Hangouts, Facebook Chat etc. Riot is the most feature complete app for android and desktop. I'm happy to see them using Matrix even before I tell them :) (the usual scenario is, I tell people about Matrix, they use it for a week and forget about it).

We also run a matrix server at poddery.com (use the same username and password as diaspora and change home server option to poddery.com).

Poddery is another project Nandaja and Haris was involved and I'm happy to tell it is still running fine and with new volunteers and features (bigger server too).

>And, as usual can see few people respond here, those were there
>always. Hope we can make an abacus gathering sometime in future.
>
>Thanks & Regards
>Ashik Salman
>Mob: +91 9633 909 434
>Mail: ash...@gmail.com

Abhinav Krishna C K

Sep 1, 2019, 2:54:12 AM9/1/19
to ABACUS
Sorry for the delay.
Here is a small report on the inauguration.

 The FOSS Cell inauguration of NSS College of Engineering, in association with iEDC was done with the support of enthusiastic participants from the college on 29 August 2019.

Mr.Praveen Arimbrathodiyil was the cheif guest of the function. The program was a successful event under the banner of FOSS Cell and it witnessed the official announcement of "HASP", the developer community of NSSCE.

The inaugural ceremony was done by Mr.Praveen Arimbrathodiyil and the official announcement was done by Mrs.Sruthy Chnadran, active Debian contributor. The function concluded with a session by Mr.Praveen and Mrs.Sruthy

The program was commenced at 3 in the afternoon at the E-one Hall. Staff coordinator Asst Prof. Syam Shankar delivered the welcome speech. He added a note of how things were done from the beginning to make this event a big success. The inauguration was presided by Dr.Sudha T, principal of NSSCE. She mentioned the efforts she had taken to make everyone shift to the FOSS Culture. She also added that the cell should be taken as a "College Cell" and should not be limited to Computer Science department. The inaugural ceremony was done by lighting the lamp by Mr.Praveen Arimbrathodiyil. Well known as Pirate Praveen, he is one of the oldest members of the Indian free software community. He is a Debian developer, a grassroots activist, a free software advocate and a pirate. He gave a short lecture on how FOSS are better Proprietary software. The official logo of FOSS Cell was launched by Principal, Dr Sudha T followed by the official announcement of Hacker Space, the developer community of NSSCE by Mrs.Sruthy Chandran. A memento was presented to Mr.Praveen Arimbrathodiyil,by Principal. Dr.Sindhu S(HOD,Dept of CSE), felicitated. The inaugural ceremony was concluded with a vote of thanks by Abhinav Krishna C K(FOSS Cell Student Coordinator,NSSCE).

A short and crisp session on Free and Open Source Software was taken by Mr.Praveen and Mrs.Sruthy in which students of various Semesters actively participated. The "free" in the Free and Open Source ,often mistaken as gratin but is actually libre, which provides the user all four freedoms. The session discussed on various aspects of the importance of freedom,privacy and security which was an enlightening one to every naive user to know about the issues faced by them. They also added that there should be programs that are controlled by the user rather than program which control users and thereby limit our freedom. The session was a helpful one for students as it dealt with all the aspects of FOSS and difficulties faced by them for changing to FOSS systems.