Beginner vs Early Programmer.

Haris Ibrahim K. V.

Jun 17, 2015, 1:17:07 PM6/17/15
to allfor...@googlegroups.com
Ellow mates!

For many of us (including me), it was only during the 6th semester
mini project that we actually tried programming. I have to be honest,
until then it was just mostly copy pasting from a senior's record and
then debugging mismatched variable names due to bad handwriting. Gosh,
that was terrible.

95% of the time, this is due to us thinking that we are stupid and we
don't know enough while others seem to be smart. I just wanted to tell
you that if you feel that way, it is OK!

I just happened to read
http://zedshaw.com/2015/06/16/early-vs-beginning-coders/. The article
beautifully outlines the difference between an early programmer and a
beginner programmer.

I also need to mention that I started taking programming seriously,
and I started to love programming after I learnt Python from Zed
Shaw's "Learn Python the Hard Way". You people should really give it a
try.

Just to wrap this up, again, it is OK to feel dumb. It is normal and
natural. It just means you know that you have a lot to learn and the
good thing is, you have enough time in front of you to learn that as
well. You lose only when you think you have to either:

1. "Show" others that you are really good at programming. Or
2. Act "cool" and "show" others that you don't give a shit about programming.

Take your time and learn. There are nice resources out there and we
are here to help you if you need any assistance. That can be in terms
of general doubts, career direction, tutorials or just advice.

Let us know. Cheers!

--
Haris Ibrahim K. V.
http://sosaysharis.wordpress.com

Haris Ibrahim K. V.

Jun 17, 2015, 11:47:38 PM6/17/15
to allfor...@googlegroups.com
Just to add to this, if any of you would like to work on nice, easy,
but extremely informative projects, you should try this out:
http://projectsthehardway.com/.

I am ready to do this together with any of you in case you are interested.

Ashik Salman

Jun 26, 2015, 2:14:44 AM6/26/15
to allforabacus

Hi All,

On 17-Jun-2015 10:47 pm, "Haris Ibrahim K. V." <bluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ellow mates!
>
> For many of us (including me), it was only during the 6th semester
> mini project that we actually tried programming. I have to be honest,
> until then it was just mostly copy pasting from a senior's record and
> then debugging mismatched variable names due to bad handwriting. Gosh,
> that was terrible.

Wow.... That was the first thing I do to get the record signed (otherwise we can't go for exam.. :-) Lol )... Even output looks similar in bunch of records.
May be the rigid curriculum made all of these copy paste common. It will take time to learn depend on each person, and take that time and really do learn the hard way. That will make it easy later.

> 95% of the time, this is due to us thinking that we are stupid and we
> don't know enough while others seem to be smart. I just wanted to tell
> you that if you feel that way, it is OK!
>
> I just happened to read
> http://zedshaw.com/2015/06/16/early-vs-beginning-coders/. The article
> beautifully outlines the difference between an early programmer and a
> beginner programmer.

Nice article.

> I also need to mention that I started taking programming seriously,
> and I started to love programming after I learnt Python from Zed
> Shaw's "Learn Python the Hard Way". You people should really give it a
> try.
>
> Just to wrap this up, again, it is OK to feel dumb. It is normal and
> natural. It just means you know that you have a lot to learn and the
> good thing is, you have enough time in front of you to learn that as
> well. You lose only when you think you have to either:
>
> 1. "Show" others that you are really good at programming. Or
> 2. Act "cool" and "show" others that you don't give a shit about programming.
>
> Take your time and learn. There are nice resources out there and we
> are here to help you if you need any assistance. That can be in terms
> of general doubts, career direction, tutorials or just advice.
>
> Let us know. Cheers!
>

> --
> Haris Ibrahim K. V.
> http://sosaysharis.wordpress.com
> @harisibrahimkv

For me I remember it was 7-th semester, I got full output for both two lab exams. Till that I was one among them who gets partial output and mercy from examiners. Poor hands own made me in that category.

You will find it easy and in your hand when you actually get into coding at any firm. Make use of the opportunity and give a step further in learning.

As hariska said, we are here to help.
All the best wishes.

Thanks & Regards
Ashik Salman