2D Word Art - Text into Symbols

Matthew DeBlock

Aug 14, 2013, 5:46:00 AM8/14/13
to all...@googlegroups.com
This has been my obsessive art hobby for well over a decade now. I call it Dscript.

it is like a "cursive alphabetical writing system", with some differences
Unlike standard cursive scripts which are written in either horizontal or vertical format
Dscript allows BOT vertical AND horizontal at the same time.

The simplest way to imagine this is that a standard cursive word is like a "string or letters"
Now imagine you take that string idea and design an alphabet of letters than can be strung together in more than a simple 1-Dimensional string

Dscript "letter strings" can be bent, curled, even forked and have letters inside of other letters
It was designed to allow as much 2D flexibility as possible, while still conserving pen strokes.

The end result is a writing system that allows for words to be "compressed" into a fully legible "alphabetical symbol".
Both the letters and sequence of letters is fully legible in each symbol. entire phrases and sentences can even be compressed into larger symbols.

The result is no restricted to "symbols and glyphs", it mealy allows the string to flex and fork in 2D, so a "letters string" can be long/tall triangle/circle/square/rectangle/etc..

I had so much fun with it I just published creative commons, free to copy/edit and yes, even free to sell and use commercially.
The Dscript concept work on any alphabet, but tends to break down at alphabets of over 40 letters or so, best for 25 or less I would say, fewer letters=more flexibility.
Guide to design new alphabets : http://dscript.ca/dscript_conlang.gif

Lots of websites and videos with materials, attached a few pics and the intro pdf
Hope you like

Matt
http://dscript.org
http://dscript.ca