Does GPL still matter?

Ishan Chattopadhyaya

Aug 13, 2009, 5:42:54 AM8/13/09
to allahabad-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends,
Here in AOL, everyone in team (and some other teams) is reluctant to
use GPL/LGPL code as, practically, they can't be used for building
proprietary products.
Apache licences are more flexible in that regard.

http://www.infoworld.com/print/85922

Regards,
Ishan

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Email: is...@chattopadhyaya.com
Website: www.ishan.chattopadhyaya.com

Sanjeev B.S.

Aug 13, 2009, 7:13:16 AM8/13/09
to allahabad-f...@googlegroups.com
Nice thoughts. Just remembered that Linux kernel is GPL (v2). ;-)

ANAND KUMAR

Aug 13, 2009, 9:05:26 AM8/13/09
to allahabad-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi...
Truly correct as per the proprietry software is concerned GPL/LGPL are not good licencing agreement.For using GPL/LGPL for proprietry software one should go through "Qt GNU LGPL v 2.1 Version".

                              "http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing/licensing#qt-commercial-license"

Remember that GPL/LGPL license was made for the betterment of world.So there is no harm with GNU public license.In case developer is fearing of loosing authority he can go through LGPL.

Spread the knowledge of Open source

Ishan Chattopadhyaya

Aug 13, 2009, 11:16:26 AM8/13/09
to allahabad-f...@googlegroups.com
I feel GPL doesnt capture the "free" part of FOSS. It surely captures
the "open" part for sure. "free" should be free as in whatever you do
with the code, including opening it up or closing it down. LGPL isn't
dramatically different either.

Having said that, I have written every single line of (serious) code in
GPL (apart from all the programming contest programs) all my life,
before coming to AOL. And still, I earn more writing GPL'ed code than
any other license. Though, if I am, as an ordinary developer, hired to
build a great system (for any purpose for that matter, a Robot, or a
flight controller for NASA or a moon buggy for ISRO or some easy
frontend for a company tool), I can't use great GPL code libraries
always. That's kinda paradoxical, as I am not "free" to use GPL, as it
implies an additional imposition of releasing the source.

What do you all think?