Stakeholder engagement - highlights from IPBES-1

BERZINA Anete

Jan 24, 2013, 6:05:20 AM1/24/13
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Stakeholder Forum on IPBES,

As the First Session of the IPBES Plenary (IPBES-1) is currently ongoing in Bonn, Germany, we are writing to update you on exciting developments in relation to stakeholder engagement in IPBES.

On Monday, in a joint statement to the plenary, stakeholders called for a stakeholder engagement strategy to be developed together with them before the next IPBES plenary meeting and recommended the establishment of partnerships with existing initiatives to support and fasten the implementation of the IPBES work programme. These important suggestions have been picked up by the governments currently  gathered for IPBES-1 and are currently being consider at the plenary. The final decision of the IPBES Plenary is still to be seen and we will keep you updated on the outcomes.

In the meantime, stakeholders continue meeting on the daily basis throughout the IPBES-1 to jointly agree on the way forward in helping governments to strengthen the links between science and policies on biodiversity and its benefits for the future of conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, long-term human well-being and sustainable development.

For more information and the full statement, please see http://iucn.org/about/work/programmes/global_policy/gpu_what_we_do/ipbes/?11789/stakeholdersipbes or check out the IUCN focus on IPBES http://iucn.org/knowledge/focus/ipbes_focus/ .

If you would also like to be engaged in stakeholder discussions and activities, please get in touch with Pierre Commeville at pierre.co...@iucn.org

Best,

Anete Berzina

IUCN

cid:image001.jpg@01CDB8EB.7E9742C0

cid:image002.jpg@01CDB8EB.7E9742C0  cid:image003.jpg@01CDB8EB.7E9742C0  cid:image004.jpg@01CDB8EB.7E9742C0

This communication, together with any attachment, may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you received it by error and you are asked to please delete it and promptly notify us. Any review, copying, use, disclosure or distribution of any part of this communication, unless duly authorized by or on behalf of IUCN, is strictly forbidden.