Sonnet on ISS construction

radag...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2008, 10:04:39 PM2/11/08
to AllThings Space
May as well throw one of mine into the mix. Here goes nothing -
enjoy.
Little by Little

One module at a time, we are building history,
Slow, graceful ballet, 210 miles above the Earth;
Stark, hostile, beautiful place of mystery,
Humans still discovering Outer Space's worth.

Bolt by bolt, minute by hour, day by week --
Creeping steadily closer to a permanent habitat;
Expansion, discovery of new vistas we seek,
Where we are going determines where we are at.

Long after I've left this old Earth,
Our planetary system will be studded with colonies;
People travelling to tourist worldlets with mirth,
More extraterrestrial, than Earthside, municipalities --
The Solar System itself will be our new conveyance,
Crusing the Galactic arm, watching for other intelligences.