LMC MTB - Communique #1

Coach Tim Hall

Sep 22, 2023, 12:04:17 PM9/22/23
to All - Southeastern Collegiate Cycling Conference (SECCC)

*** OFFICIAL RACE FLYER ***
Go HERE for the flyer: Lees-McRaeCollege MTB Race Flyer

Coaches and Athletes – please forward this email to anyone attending the event who might find this information helpful.

Race headquarters is located at Lees-McRae College at the Williams Physical Education Center (7860 Hickory Nut Gap Road, Banner Elk, NC 28604). Packet Pickup starts at 7:00 a.m. each day. Link to campus map for all locations: https://www.lmc.edu/admissions/visit/files/lmc-campus-map.pdf

Parking
We will be directing parking early on Saturday (by 6:30 AM). Bigger teams with big trucks, vans, and trailers will be directed in the grass field behind the softball field as well as the paved lot next to it. Please no trailers on the main gym lot. Individuals and teams without trailers will be directed next to gym as well as at the main gym parking lot. Please do NOT park in the grass anywhere next to the gym, but you can set up team tents in the grass. Trailers on the pavement can stay overnight. Some trailers on grass may be able to stay provided it doesn’t interfere with our STXC course on Sunday. There is also extra parking in paved lots next to Tate Field #47 on map, and across from Wildcat Lake #68, both found on the left up Hickory Nut Gap Rd. We have a volleyball match at 2 PM on Saturday, so expect more cars to arrive not associated with the race.

Packet Pick Up Tent
Will be setup near the gym parking lot between there and the softball field, next to the Haigler Athletic Center, #43 on the map. Pickup starts at 7 AM each day. If nobody is stationed there when you arrive then please call Coach Tim at 615-310-3745.

Number Plates – Chip Timing
NEW numbers this weekend! We are using chip timing, and require the use of new race numbers. Our numbers are to be used for this event only, and are clearly marked as High Country Collegiate MTB Challenge. Pick up your plates at the registration tent as the plates you have used for other races will not work this weekend.

Release Waiver
Pease make sure you sign your online waiver or bring us a signed copy of a USAC release form to registration. Online waivers have been emailed to all participants, so check your email to sign off electronically. We need a release form from all riders. Riders will not get their number plate without signing the online waiver or a printed copy!

Course Practice Times
XC – Friday at 12 PM to 6:00 PM, and Saturday from 7 AM until 8:15 AM.
Dual Slalom – Friday at 12 PM to 4 PM, and Saturday at 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM
STXC – Saturday at 7:30 to 8:15 AM, and in between races
Downhill – course walks only on Friday and Saturday (no bikes), and bike practice runs from 9 AM to 1 PM on Sunday

Please respect these practice times as it will help protect riders best and ensure our courses are ready to race.

Medic / Athletic Training
Anyone needing immediate assistance can call Lucas Carson at 724-504-8804. LMC athletic training staff will be located at the finish line of every race, and have presence on the downhill course during practice/race. The door to our AT clinic is located at #45 on the campus map above.

Timing and Officiating

Our registration/timing guy is David Harlowe, and our Chief Referee is Jim Smalley. Both are veteran officials and have worked our event before. Questions about registration, number plates, results, etc., should be respectfully directed to them. Both are good at what they do, and are key to us pulling off a successful event.

Results
Will be posted online at www.webscorer.com by searching “High Country MTB Challenge” to see links for each event. Results will also be posted at each finish line and at the tent at packet pick up. Results will be uploaded to USAC by Monday.

XC Race and Parking/Shuttles
The XC start/finish is on South Campus near the end of Hemlock Trail, which is the same area we were in last year. The start line itself is down the gravel road into the wooded hollow. The feed zone will be located on the gravel road going up to the cross. There is to be NO mechanical assistance during the XC race, per USAC rules for a conference race. Racers must carry their own mechanical support needs.

3 laps for Men A and 2 laps for Women A and Men B, all three categories will be doing the LONG course. 2 laps for Men C and Women B/C, both of which will be doing the SHORT course. These courses have separate sections and lines. LONG course does the full XC lap of last year's race, while the SHORT course does not do Nectar Sectar or our rock garden. See courses below.

There will be limited van/truck parking to teams ONLY at South Campus (no fans/family parking), and there will be a shuttle bus from the gym parking lot to and from South Campus throughout Saturday morning. The walk from the gym to XC start/finish is about 15 minutes, and riders should plan for it to take 10 minutes to ride there. Riders should be ready for call ups at least 15 minutes prior to their race start. Men A kick things off at 8:30 AM. See flyer link above for all start times.

XC Course Maps on Strava:
Long XC for Men A/B and Women A: https://www.strava.com/segments/32216046
Short XC for Men C and Women B/C: https://www.strava.com/activities/9894464291/overview

Dual Slalom
Practice is from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Qualifying begins at 1 PM. We have a large turnout and will need to operate efficiently. There will be a rider meeting BEFORE and AFTER qualifying in the center of the DS course. We will strive to announce bracket sizes for each category prior to qualifying, and after qualifying will announce rider plate numbers that qualified. We run a tight ship on the process of DS, so make sure you are in the que and on time for qualifying and heats. Full face helmets are mandatory on course at all times.

Short Track
Kicks off with team relay at 8:30 AM behind the softball field on Sunday. We will be pulling riders. STXC Course: https://www.strava.com/segments/18898422

Downhill
DH practice takes place only on Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM. Walking the DH course is open on Friday and Saturday, but no riding due to XC practice and racing. We will have a few neutral shuttles available, but it would be best for teams to have their own due to the large turnout. Do not stop or stand in the middle of the downhill course during practice! Move off behind the tape to view the course because riders are coming down fast behind. There is NO parking on the road down to the shuttle area, and is used solely for drop off and pick up of riders. Riders can also ride back to the top by taking Hemlock Trail across from the waterfall.

Downhill Start Times
These will be available on Saturday evening and will be in the next communique. Please check the start times to make sure your name is on the list when they become available. If your name is not on the list, then see Chief Ref Jim Smalley to get it corrected early Sunday morning at the short track. Full face helmets are mandatory on course at all times.

Downhill Course: https://www.strava.com/segments/18898422

Podiums
XC podium will take place immediately after each race at the pavilion near the entrance of South Campus. The pavilion is on the left as you enter that area. DS podiums will be near the finish line in the open field. STXC podiums will be near the finish line. DH podiums will take place back at packet pick up. Please make sure riders stick around after the finish, and get the top 5 finishers together in every category (preferably in team jersey).

Bathrooms
We have four port-o-johns near the softball field. Bathrooms are not available inside our gym.

Bike Wash
A bike wash with a hose will be near packet pick next to the softball field, behind home plate.

Campus Police and Security
If you need emergency assistance please call 911 or campus police/security at 828-260-0505.

Other Questions
If I have failed to mention anything you want or need to know, then please email me at ha...@lmc.edu or text/call at 615-310-3745.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!

Coach Tim Hall
Lees-McRae College