SIFTs are rotate in Image Viewer

Luca

Aug 17, 2021, 11:17:11 AM8/17/21
to AliceVision
Hi everybody.

After the feature extraction fase, if I click on some images I noticed the SIFTs are somehow portraied rotated by 180 degrees. Consider the image attached. You can easily notice how the SIFTs of the circular dial that is in the top-right part of the image, are shown in the bottom-left part. It's also fairly easy to identify the two borders of the main object, with the straight one passing behinf the dial that is on the right side in the image, but on the left side on the SIFTs and vice-versa for the curved edge on the left of the image.

Is this just a visualization problem in the Image Viewer or are SIFTs data actually corrupted?

Capture.PNG

Fabien Castan

Aug 19, 2021, 4:39:51 PM8/19/21
to Luca, AliceVision
Hi Luca,

The ImageViewer uses the orientation metadata to dynamically rotate the image and the feature points in the viewer, so it's most likely a display issue.
I'm not sure why you get this difference in the Viewer between the orientation applied to the image and the feature points.

What is the file format for your image? Is it JPG?
Do you have the same issue when you enable the HDR mode in the image viewer?

Luca

Aug 24, 2021, 10:23:08 AM8/24/21
to AliceVision
Hi Fabc.
They are JPEG files taken with an iPhoneX.
When I enable the HDR mode the situation gets even weirder: the image is broken in two and only half is rotate.
Capture.PNG

Fabien Castan

Aug 24, 2021, 3:42:16 PM8/24/21
to Luca, AliceVision
Hi Luca,
Could you send me some files of a dataset to reproduce it and hopefully debug it?
Best,

Endolith

Aug 24, 2021, 3:44:48 PM8/24/21
to AliceVision