Meshroom for Archaeology and Heritage

Philippe Martinez

Oct 11, 2019, 8:57:26 AM10/11/19
to AliceVision
Dear Colleagues,

I have been using Meshroom since its first release and I am very happy with your software.
For the archeological community, apart from its easy use and the quality of the results, its main benefit is being open source and free.
Working in emerging countries, it is thus easy to point it to colleagues who have even ressources than we do.
However, it presents, for us, a sore missing part; the creation of orthomosaics.
Something that is easily done, but often faulty, through the paying software that is used by the majority of my colleagues.
Having worked for years with Kevin Cain of insightidigital.org , I know that we should make our revolution and stick to 3D models.
But our community has been raised on interpretation through 2D mapping and drawing and thus we feel kind of stuck when we end up with "only" a 3D model.
We can of course use the textured 3D model to get an orthoimage of any of its surfaces.
But when like me, you want also to be able work on high res orthomosaics that actually really rely on the quality of the original photographs, the visual quality of the "cooked" texture remains disappointing.
To make things short, my question is: in the possibly near future, is the Alice Vision team thinking of complementing what Meshroom already offers with a high quality creation of orthomosaics module?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Philippe Martinez

Etudes et relevés épigraphiques de monuments d'éternité de Ramsès II

Thevan Tomb Chapels 3D Atlas Initiative

Mission Archéologique Française de Thèbes Ouest (MAFTO)

Laboratoire d'Archéologie Moléculaire et Structurale (LAMS) - UPMC

CNRS - Sorbonne Université

sim...@googlemail.com

Oct 17, 2019, 8:40:32 AM10/17/19
to AliceVision
Hello Philippe,

"But when like me, you want also to be able work on high res orthomosaics that actually really rely on the quality of the original photographs, the visual quality of the "cooked" texture remains disappointing."

I prefer stitching the original photographs over Ortho-images derived from 3d models. Interestingly enough the latter seems to be common for many commercial photogrammetry software products. Ortho-images derived from 3d models (texture) are perfect for 3d visualization of the terrain, bot not for use as 2D Ortho-image, as you likely get some blurred/stretched areas.
You can try open source Ortho-Image stitching software listed here.

"In the possibly near future, is the Alice Vision team thinking of complementing what Meshroom already offers with a high quality creation of orthomosaics module?"

Adding support for orthoimages and gcp is on the to-do list: https://github.com/alicevision/meshroom/issues/246 https://github.com/alicevision/AliceVision/issues/402

It should not be too difficult to implement this, but at the moment this relies on community contributions, as the main-devs are working to improve the core functionalities.

Philippe Martinez

Oct 17, 2019, 8:48:24 AM10/17/19
to sim...@googlemail.com, simfris via AliceVision
Thanks a lot for your answer.
I shall look into the existing ortho-image stiching software, in the hope that this shall soon be supported by Msehroom.
Thanks to the community.

Aaron Steele

Mar 12, 2024, 1:29:07 PMMar 12
to AliceVision
Has there been a progress made into this?

thanks
Aaron