Photometric Stereo Pipeline

Dan Young

Aug 28, 2023, 10:46:03 PM8/28/23
to AliceVision
Hi all,

I have been messing about with the Stereo Pipeline and I guess I have hit a stumbling block of not knowing enough information.

I have photographed 8 images, with a sphere.  I have used the pipeline in the quick presets. This ends up outputting 8 files each of Albedo, Masks, Normals, and Normals_w

I don't seem to see anything but a flat color in the Normals

To confirm that it was not my lack of skill at photographing, I am running the sample Dataset of the cavern right now (and probably should have downsized the images - I will add to this thread with the output results should they be different than my images.)

I guess I was expecting a combine set of images. An Albedo, A Normal, etc but - that was a big assumption.

What is the next step after having the individual files or, did the process fail and I should have them?

Dan Young

Aug 29, 2023, 5:23:02 AM8/29/23
to AliceVision
So in the sample dataset I do see that the normal maps contain some data (not as much as I would have expected) in them where as mine appear to be 'flat'. I will try a new set of photos later today. I am trying to get a texture from a piece of fabric if that matters.

Secondly, I do see that it also created a couple of SFM files, one each for Albedo and Normal. I think this it's part of the missing link to the workflow but I'm still unsure how to utilize them.

Dan Young

Aug 29, 2023, 9:45:40 AM8/29/23
to AliceVision
Oh yeah!  I found the piece of information I was missing -

https://github.com/alicevision/Meshroom/wiki/New-Features-in-Meshroom-2023.2
"Input images need to be located in a folder that starts with ‘ps_’ to be grouped together using their pose ID. The photometric stereo cannot run otherwise"

and Viola!  A result.  Now, I need to go back and try to take a better set of photos with the light at a more consistent angle for fall off.  But I am back in the game!

464330077_albedo.png464330077_normals.png

Eds Cantonjos

Jul 24, 2024, 1:24:48 PM (yesterday) Jul 24
to AliceVision
Hello Dan,

I'm also trying to get a texture from a fabric. I'm new in Meshroom so I don't have any idea about the pipeline. If you will so kind to share me the pipepline for this I will highly appreciate it. I tried to look online but no luck.

Best,
Ed

Dan Young

Jul 24, 2024, 3:12:58 PM (yesterday) Jul 24
to AliceVision
Hi Eds,

Thanks for reaching out.  I'll have to go back and take a look, and then I can try to write something up over the next few days.

Dan

Dan Young

Jul 24, 2024, 3:14:38 PM (yesterday) Jul 24
to AliceVision
Also of interest,

This was the project I used the pipeline on.

Dan

Antoine LAURENT

4:28 AM (16 hours ago) 4:28 AM
to Dan Young, AliceVision