Time perception

samveg sharma

Jul 20, 2018, 3:28:55 AM7/20/18
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
Hey guys.... I would be rude to deny the fact that i have AIWS. I suffer from the distorted time perception one. When i would get the 'attacks' i would feel time going very very fast like i would feel minutes like seconds and seconds would feel like water flowing away....u know..like i could not distinguish between a single second...ohh horrible experience. But I found a solution to the problem. Well its concentrating on a watch and observing its second hand moving... Also i forgot to mention it but my heart rate at that time would be like totally off the books.. i would never ever touch my wrist and try n check my pulse...cause i would know if i did it...i would get more scared looking at the speed my heart was beating and hence multiplying the effect. So i used to forget everything and just concentrate on the second hand of my wrist watch...how its moving...what mechanism must be inside...how much the gears are moving to count 1 second....and slowly slowly I would resync my brain clock with the second hand of my watch...and then would notice that im out of it and everything is normal again.

A while back i was introduced to merijuana by my friend. Its an amazing drug. Looks like it is curing my aiws... i have not been getting any more attacks for a while now. Trust me guys time perception is everything in life. I would start to loose grasp on reality.

There are sime other wierd things that happened with me when i started smoking weed. Like i could control my concentration levels easily. I can control my heart beat voluntarily...like i cant make it stop but regulate its speed to keep me calm or stuff like that. Now heart beat is directly dependent upon metabolism and vice versa. So now my anxiety issues are also gone cause i can control it. There is some other stuffs which i did like discovering God among other things.hehehe

I definitely believe that my experiences of mary jane are due to my brains different construct.

Has any one else with AIWS tried weed?

thats my question. thanks for reading till here and for this awesome group :)

Sorry i forgot to give my background...im a computer scientist interested in AGI research.

Cheers.

Judy Elliott

Jul 21, 2018, 6:34:41 AM7/21/18
to alice-in-wonde...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samveg

Just had a quick look to see if there is any rationale for the use of medicinal cannabis with AIWS and apparently there are some early studies which indicate a possible connection. Many people with AIWS have some combination of migraine and epilepsy and it looks like Epidiolex, which is a cannabis derivative has been found to be effective in treating epilepsy. Only problem is that, like many drugs, it has quite a lot of side effects. Maybe you should see a neurologist to try to identify whether you are being affected by some form of epilepsy. It's probably better to consult a doctor, rather than self-medicating.

I have only had one clear episode of time distortion with AIWS. It happened when I was getting on a bus with other people and everything went into slow motion for about 5 minutes. This happened when I first met my husband, so I know that it occurred about 34 years ago. My AIWS was migraine related as I have had it permanently 24/7 since 2003. It's all visuo-spatial effects for me, so a bit like living in a hall of mirrors. I am at college at present studying IT and just try to get on and ignore the AIWS effects. If I do tell people, I just say I have some problems with my vision. I was interested to see you have found something which helps.

I notice that you have some interest in how the brain functions, as you are a computer scientist interested in artificial intelligence. My own background includes Psychology and years ago I worked on a couple of research projects. As a hobby, I'm looking into connections between diet and health, so I have put together a database on this. While doing that, I collected quite a lot of papers on AIWS. There is an account of someone being cured through use of the anti-epileptic drug Sodium Valproate, but when I tried it, there was no effect. Only other thing I saw which helped someone with AIWS was applying transcranial magnetic pulses to the head, but when I asked a neurologist about it, he said that it was too experimental to be worth trying. There was someone on this forum who said they had some success with Ayurvedic herbs, but they never specified what they had used. I do know that Ayurveda makes a lot of use of anti-inflammatory substances, such as turmeric/curcumin.

I'm thinking of getting in touch with a consultant/professor I've noticed online who says that his main interest is AIWS. He is based in the Netherlands, so I hope he speaks good English. I'm into natural healthcare, so don't particularly want to try out different drugs, but I would like to have a SPECT scan to see what is going on with the bloodflow to the visual part of the cortex. The only things I actually know are wrong with my health apart from the AIWS are: my cholesterol level is higher than it should be (so maybe some kind of interruption in the blood flow might be relevant); I am gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant (and both can have affects on the brain) and I do have some sleep disturbances after eating (somnolence and rebound insomnia). I am normal weight with a decent BMI, but I saw a consultant who suggested it might help with the cholesterol to try to lose some more weight. I am 5 foot 7 inches tall and my current weight is about 10 stone 7 lbs (147 lbs or 66.7 kilos).

Anyway, hope you continue to make good progress.

Has anyone else found something which helps with AIWS?

Judy