Looking for participants to have an interview with for an academic study on AIWS.

Daniel Mei

Jan 3, 2020, 6:09:13 PM1/3/20
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
Looking for participants whiling to participate in my study. The interview can be conducted through email, text, voice call, etc, whichever you prefer. I've attached a consent form if anyone is interested in it and feels comfortable, Happy New Years!

Feel free to contact me about any concerns or if you're willing to participate either through my phone number or email, or you can just say you're interested below and I'll try and contact you.

Name: Daniel Mei
Phone #: 330-734-8239
Consent Form.pdf

Rik Hemsley

Jan 4, 2020, 6:19:15 AM1/4/20
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
Hi Daniel

Could you please introduce yourself and the study? I can’t see any information about either presented here previously.

Thanks
Rik

Daniel Mei

Jan 4, 2020, 9:52:17 AM1/4/20
to alice-in-wonde...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reaching out to me Rik!

It means a lot, my name is Daniel, I'm currently a Junior in high school. I'm doing a field study for Collegeboard's Capstone program and I decided to make my research about AIWS. The purpose of my study is to really understand what AIWS is like from someone else's shoes, I've seen some people view it as a burden and some who don't. So I believe hearing people with AIWS is extremely valuable. What led me down this path is I actually had AIWS throughout my childhood, and It was very traumatic to me, I remember frequently crying and screaming in the middle of the night with my parents having to calm me down saying it's just a nightmare, but when I tried explaining to them that it wasn't, they'd brush it off. Currently, most people aren't familiar with AIWS or know anything about it, even I didn't know of its existence until about a year ago. I really hope my study shows how AIWS can affect people and how it deserves attention, especially when it's been linked to seizures, Epstein-Barr virus, migraines, etc. I really want to educate people on this and want to hear other's experiences. Currently, I'm at the stage where I feel confident in interviewing people with AIWS, I'm very whiling to work around anyone's schedule, and I really want to make sure everyone participating feels comfortable at all times during the interview. All your information will be kept as safe as I possibly can, it will not be uploaded online and will be kept physically. All identifying information as well will be erased or change with filler-phrases. I'm not currently planning on making a follow-up study, but if I do and I plan to use information from this study, I'll need your consent in the future.

You have a good one Rik,
Daniel

Daniel Mei

Jan 4, 2020, 11:53:52 AM1/4/20
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
I forgot to specify I'm looking for people who have been affected with AIWS in their lifetime

Martijn Van Loocke

Jan 4, 2020, 12:21:10 PM1/4/20
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
Hey Daniel,

I'm happy to have a conversation with you about it via email (I live in Europe and I assume "high school" means the US so that makes a voice call very impractical). This mail group is the only real forum I have found for AIWS and it's not particularly active. I have never met anyone else in person with AIWS and no one (doctor or otherwise) that I have spoken to has ever heard of it. So, I'll tell you about my experiences if you give me some insight into yours as I'm very curious as to how deep the rabbit hole goes (put intended).

Here's a thread that I started myself a few weeks ago. Feel free to use it: https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/alice-in-wonderland-syndrome/x-hoPWfTPss

Kind regards,
Martijn

Daniel Mei

Jan 4, 2020, 6:31:02 PM1/4/20

On Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 12:21:10 PM UTC-5, Martijn Van Loocke wrote:
Hey Daniel,

I'm happy to have a conversation with you about it via email (I live in Europe and I assume "high school" means the US so that makes a voice call very impractical). This mail group is the only real forum I have found for AIWS and it's not particularly active. I have never met anyone else in person with AIWS and no one (doctor or otherwise) that I have spoken to has ever heard of it. So, I'll tell you about my experiences if you give me some insight into yours as I'm very curious as to how deep the rabbit hole goes (put intended).

Here's a thread that I started myself a few weeks ago. Feel free to use it: https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/alice-in-wonderland-syndrome/x-hoPWfTPss

Kind regards,
Martijn

Hey Martijn, thanks for responding!

Yeah, that sounds like a plan and I'm really excited, I'll send you the questions once you've read the consent form and signed it. Just email a copy of it to me and we can get started!

Many thanks,
Daniel