AIWS study

iheartp...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 4:09:37 AM3/20/17
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
I'm doing an essay at school about Alice in wonderland syndrome if you don't want to you don't have to, but if anyone would mind telling me about there experiences and difficulty's etc. On having it?
-Thanks

Lysonnite

Apr 15, 2017, 2:00:20 AM4/15/17
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
I had it very often when I was a kid. I remember around first grade I would stare at the teacher and I would feel like the whole world was zooming out until she seemed miles away from me. It almost always went away when I stopped looking or focusing though. The only time I couldn't control it was when I was falling asleep, where it happened almost every night. The strangest part of the experiences were the changes in the sounds, though. Whenever it happened people sounded like they were shouting from far away, but somehow right in your ear at the same time. Even if you're sitting in a quiet room, the tiniest sounds become noticeable. It's almost impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't experienced it themselves. The best way I can think to describe it is as someone trying to imitate someone shouting while talking at normal volume. Where I differ from almost everyone I've heard about is I never get migraines along with them. I've never even had one. I still experience this sometimes, especially late at night when I'm looking at my computer. I usually just don't move or look away as not to disturb or lose the sensation because I find it really interesting and a little entertaining when it happens. I hope this helps with your project! good luck!

Christine Coulter Ferrell

Apr 15, 2017, 3:22:07 AM4/15/17
to alice-in-wonde...@googlegroups.com
  I only had it mildly as a child. Things would seem to shrink in size and become very far away and I'd get this odd sort of floating feeling with it. But my son who is now 11 and only now gets it when he's feverish, had it so bad and so often it terrified us. We had never heard of AIWS before I reached out on Facebook for help and a friend mentioned it and I joined this group.
 Jesse's experience with it I think started from birth or at least close to it. He was never a good sleeper. As a baby we chalked it up to colic but as he got older the way he would cry at night was like something terrified him. He didn't sleep through the night until he was 6 and in kindergarten. Still with that absolutely terrifying cry and scream. Once  he started walking and running he would come running out of his room, run around the livingroom in circles, crying and waving his arms. I would hold him and sooth him but everytime he made eye contact with one of us, my husband and older son, he would start screaming and run back down the hallway. This would continue until he was exhausted and would fall asleep in my arms with his face hidden. Doctors told us it was night terrors and we would just have to wait until he grew out of it. He was a late talker so it wasn't until he was 4 or so that he could describe what scared him so much. That's when we realized that he wasn't just having bad dreams and "walking" in his sleep, he was always  awake  and what he was actually seeing was what was terrifying him. After having an episode during a nap I asked him if he could explain what he was seeing that made him so scared. He said he wasn't dreaming but he would "just wake up and everything would be big" and the reason he would run from any of us was because we were big like giants. He would run to each of us to save him but when he would open his eyes we'd be big so he would run away from us but everything in his room was big too so he'd run back out and this could go on for 15-20 minutes. It was heart-wrenching knowing we couldn't help him. Once he told me he could see colors but they didnt scare him he thought they were neat.We took him to therapy after I found out about AIWS but they said they had never heard of it and told us they were night terrors. Therapy became a waste of time because other than that he was a normal, healthy child and it was still happening. By 1st grade it became easier to calm him down and as long as I was holding him and he'd keep his eyes closed he'd eventually fall back to sleep. As he got older the episodes came less often and didn't last as long. I think that was partly due to his being able to understand that we and the furniture and the pets weren't actually big it was just how he was seeing them so as long as he'd keep his eyes closed it would eventually pass. I think it was around 3rd grade that it would only happen when he was sick and feverish. When he'd get sick we new it was going to happen at least twice during the night and if it happened out of the blue we knew he was getting sick. He still gets episodes when he's got a fever but it's not every time. He'll just say, everything is starting to get big and I'll say it's just because you're sick, keep your eyes closed and you'll fall asleep. Sometimes he still wants me to stay with him until he drifts off.
 Sorry that was so long lol Feel free to email me with any questions and best of luck on your paper. I think it wonderful (And about time) that AIWS is becoming more well known.

 ~Christine Ferrell