What triggers you?

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2013, 7:31:38 AM7/3/13
to alice-in-wonde...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious as to what you find triggers an attack for people, for me the most common is if i'm in an interview situation,
Say a job interview or at a doctors,

Also sometimes if i'm going to sleep, Which is the worst time as if I have an attack while sleeping I have the same nightmare of being trapped in a landscape of metal pipes.

In certain situations I can self trigger an attack, but I try not too.
To self trigger I stare at an object for a few minutes, but it sometimes does not work.

dparvin99

Jul 4, 2013, 4:22:42 PM7/4/13
to alice-in-wonde...@googlegroups.com
Most of the time I get this as I am falling asleep which always makes me wonder if it is related to epilepsy as I had that when I was younger. I do sometimes get it while sitting still and if I don't move the feeling carries on until I snap myself out of it. So far I have not seen anything that triggers me like the YouTube clip etc.

Marie DeMars

May 3, 2018, 9:11:30 AM5/3/18
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
It seems to happen to me mainly if I've been intensely concentrating - particualry reading, but occasionally while drawing and painting too (I'm a full time artist). It usually goes away after a few minutes though.

Kayleigh Muttschall

May 6, 2018, 7:20:30 AM5/6/18
to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
I've been keeping a log for about six months and mine is almost always brought on by repetitive sound waves of some sort. I fit into the speed distortion group though, and I know many of you have more visual than auditory symptoms so the trigger may be different. On another note, keeping a log has been very helpful and I would reccomend doing so to anyone else :)

Judy Elliott

May 7, 2018, 2:25:42 PM5/7/18
to alice-in-wonde...@googlegroups.com
My AIWS used to come with my worst migraine attacks and these were provoked by food intolerances. It would therefore be after eating something I was really intolerant to, such as gluten or lactose. Nowadays, it's just permanent all the time and has been so since 2003, so I've put up with it for about 15 years. I presume there has been some change in my brain, but this is not visible with an MRI scan. Could be some blocked blood vessels feeding through to the visual system. I did have quite a bad assault with blows to the head, but this was in the year 2000, so there might have been some delayed reaction to the head trauma. I think researchers might have some interest in my case, as they have no need to provoke the AIWS and an investigation might show the location in the brain which is causing AIWS for me. Interesting how it seems to have "piggy-backed" on the old migraine problem.